Carefree Music Streaming With The Logitech Wireless DJ Music System

thiggins

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Mike Baggaley found that Logitech's latest wireless music streaming system handles DRM-protected files as easily as your own ripped music.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
This is quite nice device. Currently I use airtunes with airport express to stream music to my stereo. But this means that I have to control the music from my computer. Also I have to setup wireless network for that.

This solution is comparable in price, more convenient (remote control for ...ehm... remote computer control) and more secure, I think

My only question is if the software recognizes playlists that are maid in other players, such as iTunes.

othercents

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I hope they expand this device to be able to stream video from iTunes to the TV. This would be way better than moving my desktop out to the living room to hookup to my TV.

Other

Cruz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Nice device, but anyone who is really serious uses FLAC. This device won't do that or accomodate Winamp, Foobar. I also wish Logitech could fix it to use OGG, but that is likely asking too much. Most of the world uses the MP3, I know that, but the other formats make an audible difference.

MichaelBaggaley

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Sorry for the delay in response everyone, it's been a busy week.

This is quite nice device. My only question is if the software recognizes playlists that are maid in other players, such as iTunes.

Actually it recognizes playlists in all three of the supported players (iTunes included.) All of my best playlists are in iTunes and they all came across to the remote without a hitch.

I hope they expand this device to be able to stream video from iTunes to the TV. This would be way better than moving my desktop out to the living room to hookup to my TV.

That would be nice. I'm reviewing a network video player next that is supposed to be able to transfer video from your desktop to your TV. I'm not sure how it feels about .mov files though. Keep an eye on Denguru in the next few weeks.

Nice device, but anyone who is really serious uses FLAC. This device won't do that or accomodate Winamp, Foobar. I also wish Logitech could fix it to use OGG, but that is likely asking too much.

I didn't actually think to test any files encoded with FLAC (free lossless audio codec). Thanks for the reminder. I'll add a couple of them to my archive of test files. In theory, if you can get it to appear in the library of any of the supported media players, there's a chance that it will stream. Since StreamPoint uses the libraries to allocate the music list and then uses the players themselves to stream the music to your stereo it might be possible to get FLAC encoded files to work.

Thanks for the comments!

-Mike

rrnworks

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Your mentioned it integrates with Rhapsody? Will this also allow streaming of Real Audio internet radio stations? Integration with Winamp would also solve the real audio problem along with FLAC - maybe you can put a bug in Logitech's ear!

MichaelBaggaley

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Your mentioned it integrates with Rhapsody? Will this also allow streaming of Real Audio internet radio stations? Integration with Winamp would also solve the real audio problem along with FLAC

I’m currently not a member of Rhapsody, so I couldn’t test it’s functionality with the Wireless DJ for the review. However, I believe that when Rhapsody was mentioned in Logitech’s documentation they referred to playing individual songs using Rhapsody rather than the internet radio. Internet radio functionality with the Wireless DJ was specific to WMP, iTunes, and Musicmatch Jukebox.

Considering that I was unable to test Rhapsody, I can’t tell you for sure that it won’t work, but I don’t think I’d count on it.

Just a quick question: can you connect this directly to the ipod or you have to have computer on?

Sadly, it does not interface with your ipod. You'll need to have your computer on so that the Wireless DJ can access iTunes.

Thanks for your questions!