Carmack Addresses "Creativity" Issue of FPS Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
What, THIS guy AGAIN? I'm tired of his "comments" on how tablets and smartphones will take over desktop and laptops in a year... but now he SUDDENLY talks sense! FPS hit the wall a long time ago... what else can you do with an FPS rather then improve graphics? The game genre involves shooting, and not much more, and it's fine! Otherwise, there're things like Just Cause 2 and TimeShift, which offer an FPS core with additional abilities that drastically change the way an FPS works (no, Crysis nanosuit can NOT be considered such an ability!). Concerning 3rd person shooter vs. FPS... I don't agree do his "immersion" ideas. I'm feeling much more immersed while playing Mass Effect 2 or JC2 rather than Call of Duty =P

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Well, I personally feel that people nowadays are way too demanding regarding FPS games especially. I absolutely love the feel of CoD games and I hate it when people complain about how it lacks innovation etc. It has everything a war-based FPS should ought to deliver.

G

Story is everything.....
Make a lame FPS and get a lame review due to the associated lame gameplay.
BUT, use a decent storyline as with HLx, CODx, STALKERx, DOOMx, QUAKEx etc and these comments about FPS being "done" just isn't correct.
Bring me more!

fenix1186

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
"But we're creating value for people - that’s our job!"

He meant: "But we're creating profit for us - that’s our job!"

Honestly the FPS genre hasn't seen too much new stuff. With appalling games like COD, it's just sad. I mean call of duty was awesome as MW1. Then everything that has come after should have only been an expansion because there is NOTHING different aside from a bit more story and some random small items. COD has instead become the Madden of FPS's. Same shit different year. People just love buying the same thing every year with the tiniest changes from the last iteration: COD, Madden, anything Apple, etc

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]JastheAce[/nom]Story is everything.....Make a lame FPS and get a lame review due to the associated lame gameplay.BUT, use a decent storyline as with HLx, CODx, STALKERx, DOOMx, QUAKEx etc and these comments about FPS being "done" just isn't correct.Bring me more![/citation]

What story? all those games suck anyways. Battlefield is way better.ok i do like HL but waiting to finish it is becoming pointless.

CTT

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
CoD's story has never been its weak point IMO, at least the few of them I've played. Although the last one I played (MW2) took a big hit from consoleitis. Its game play mechanics are crap along with its multiplayer, Battlefield has always blown it away there. So my choice is paying $60 for a good story I'll blow through in a afternoon, or pay $50 for basically no story but a solid game I'll play for years.

Pretty much what FPS genre comes down to for me these days, easy choice IMO.

G

So...basically he's saying a game is good when it's sales are successful.

I've regreted Black Ops. Not only because of the game itself, it's just struggling the PC platform. What happen to the immersion in the FPS genre. Today, it's all about bringing kids a gore game.

So lets keep up with our merchandising and we are fine...

fenix1186

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
@greghome
Yea I forgot about the EXTREMELY overpriced MAP PACKS! I remember when maps used to be free. Lol. What a joke. Money grubbing!

Friis

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I like how Battlefield have been moving, seen Battlefield 2 move to Battlefield bad company 2 where you can destroy things, and soon Battlefield 3, can't wait to see that.

but moving to see Call of Duty, i joined Call of duty at number 4, but as world at war and black ups came out. only different i see is that there are less good players left in call of duty 4, but there is no real changes, looks like money making "upgrades". Many things could me like a mod to call of duty 4 instead of a whole new game, ok the remote car might be hard to make on a mod. what else is there?

I really loved call of duty 4, but its been some time since I last was playing that, last I got so borred because there was barely any multiplayer challenge, running around with pistol because it became so easy, all the good players moved to the next call of duty, I find it a waste of my money buying those later call of duty.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I play the $60 AAA PC titles because there is a large online community. This allows me countless hours of multi-player action with servers that are full. This is were I get value out of the product. Single player campaigns do not interest me because playing against AI is trite and just not challenging after you complete the game.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I believe the main problem with games now days is the lack of depth to the gameplay and story as well as the overall length of the story.

The main turnoff for me in FPS games is the generic death match rubbish, it is why i enjoy the battlefield series more with its conquest mode, cnc renegade was also another brilliant example of an FPS game with a difference.

but then im currently addicted to minecraft lol.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I used to like the CoD series. The last good CoD game was CoD4. It had solid gameplay mechanics and wasnt dumbed down to what it is today.
Now it's just point, click and spray without any kind of recoil. Pretty soon they will introduce aim assists that focus on headshots.
Not to mention that Blac Ops was a complete dissaster. The game was out of controll on the PC.
Freezes, lag spikes, worse qualety graphics than Cod4. etc.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Carmack, androids like you have no creativity whatsoever. Code code code Carmack, and shut up, that's the only thing you're good at. Your opinion means shit nerd. Romero, now that's a personality. He failed, but at least he tried. Seriously, what have you done in the past 10 years? Doom 3? Was not bad, but disappointed a shitload of people. Quake 4? BARELY good. Same with Wolfenstein 2009. Enemy Territory, BLEND. Seriously, with do people listen to this clown? Beuase he's a "great" coder? What game used your "oh so great" tech? Prey and Brink. Wow! So what kind of authority does that guy have? No creativity, no real use of his tech "skills", and now there he is talking his ALMIGHTY opinion about creativity. Please Carmack, shut up.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
And F.Y.I. everyone. id Software's CEO Todd Hollenshead was the first to say PC gaming was dead cause of piracy back in 2004/2005 on VIDEO. Actually, all they really care about IS profit. Actually, he was even kind of PUSHING that idea so that could turn into their favor, by having more console sales.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
That's not addressing the issue, that is recognizing that it IS an issue. He could address it by making sure RAGE doesn't follow the same steps as the other FPSs.

Status
Not open for further replies.