Carmack Doesn't Expect Much From Waggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Carmack is a thing of the past, he needs to get with today's program; why does anyone still listen when he speaks as a lot of what he has to say doesn't seem to be relevant anymore.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The man is right this time. No matter how precise and efficient these new technologies will be, they will only be useful in games designed specifically for them. It doesn't mean that the games they won't be fun, it just means that some genres won't adapt to these technologies, like RTS and "classic" FPS.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
@Zak - Actually... While I agree with you on FPSs, I think RTSs could benefit significantly from these technologies... I could easily see (and would encourage) playing RTSs in full "Minority Report" style...

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I actually think that with Sony's 1:1 control, FPS games will benefit from the accuracy of aiming and having a real trigger fire with. This would be somewhat reminiscent of Golden Eye, but without the need to have an "aim" button. It would also simplify operations like strafing while firing etc. I think it's a good control scheme for a FPS. A hack and slash game would get pretty redundant and exhausting though due to too much swinging around. You'd have to scale back the number of enemies to a lot for long play secessions.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I agree, FPS would need a whole new controller scheme for it to work and its already fine the way it is. No reason or need to update that. Other games could benefit but ounless the FPS is "On-Rails" then there really is no purpose to motion control in it. Maybe some add on movements like "Tilt the controller to lean" or vehicle control but thats about it.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@reichscythe : I've never thought of it that way. I guess that could be done quite well. We'll need more and bigger displays to use it to it's full potential, but we're already on that road so, maybe soon...

As for FPS, unless they can think of a way to make us "walk" while staying at the same place, we're far from living a real FPS experience!

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]@reichscythe : I've never thought of it that way. I guess that could be done quite well. We'll need more and bigger displays to use it to it's full potential, but we're already on that road so, maybe soon...As for FPS, unless they can think of a way to make us "walk" while staying at the same place, we're far from living a real FPS experience![/citation]

There will be direction controls on the top of the waggle... aiming for position, trigger to fire, and misc buttons for weapon switching etc... What exactly is the waggle lacking for FPS games?

BloodyIron

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Mouse and Keyboard. Anything else would be uncivilized (for FPS').

Just look at the TF2 competitions on console compared to PC. Nuff said.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]mlauzon76[/nom]Carmack is a thing of the past, he needs to get with today's program; why does anyone still listen when he speaks as a lot of what he has to say doesn't seem to be relevant anymore.[/citation]
He's what I would call an old fool, but he's still talking sense.
Existing game types can't easily take advantage of a new controller. Imagine playing a strategy or mmorpg with a motion controller? or what about a puzzle game? well okay a few puzzle games could use it - like the one where you put blocks on top of eachother to reach some flags on a table that moves with weight. Anyway, back to the topic - it won't nessecarily work for strategy, puzzle, fps, platformer or rpg type games.
What's left?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
reddozen@ : So, basically, it's Duck Hunt with a D-Pad? 25-years worth of innovations and that's all we get? Sorry, but I'm expecting a bit more if this is to become "the future of gaming".

Status
Not open for further replies.