Carmack: Rage PS3 Lagging Behind Xbox 360, PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This is what has been said over and over again. The PS3 is much more complex to program for and the only thing that is going to show what the console is truly capable of are first party exclusives. Sony really did completely forget what the point of a console was with this generation. Had the focused on gaming and not house brand processors and blu-ray they might not be falling so far behind.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Gameinformer this month has him stating the total system power gives them more to work with as well as the blu-ray advantages(2 disc Rage, 3 disc Doom 4). Other devs have also said it being easy to work with the system once you get used to the different(not hard) way of programming for it. All third party games are now trading blows in terms of performance and visuals. Obviously someone like him prefers a PC style approach considering his background.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
"The rasteriser is just a little bit slower – no two ways about that. The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360,"

"but the PS3 version is lagging behind at only 20 to 30 FPS."

Thats about 200-300% slower.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I love my PS3 but it was a bad idea to go so crazy with the technology and make it hard to program for. I was #1 with Nintendo since the original NES came out(Gamecube and PS2 were a tie probably) but I gave up on them with the Wii, its not how I wanna play. PS3 is #1 with me.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
@shex, that is just their current, or previous performance. Does not mean they can't get it to 60 or he would have said that instead.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Personally I don't really feel that the Wii is a X-gen console. I would say that it is current gen in the fact that it is currently being sold but it is more along the lines of the PS2 than it is the Xbox 360/PS3. It only fits in with them the same way that the DS or PS2 does in that they are all game systems. So lumping the Wii with them is like saying that PS2 has won the war because it has sold more consoles that all other consoles combined at something like 150 million and still selling pretty good.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The PS3 helped Sony win the HI Def war but in the process lost the game console war. All the future royalties from blu ray may offset their losses this time around in the game market. They will probably bounce back with the PS4 since their sole focus will be on gaming next time around.

G

I don't understand something...

"The work remaining is getting it locked so there’s never a dropped frame or a tear, but we’re confident that we’re going to get that."

Does this mean that the PC version will run at 60 FPS, no frame drops, regardless of hardware? How can that claim be made without hardware specifications?

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Thats the reason i play games in PC.... Performance & Video Quality is a lot better.

PC games run > 60 FPS easy at res 1080P or higher.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
There is a site that gives a bunch of res and aa comparisons. Eurogamer is such a terrible place for anything. They like to review games with false information and give bad scores.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
"Currently the Xbox 360 (and PC version with the right hardware) run at 60 FPS"

LOL... PC version with the right hardware for sure. You'd have to dig for hardware that's 2 or 3 years old to find some as slow as the 360. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS