Cassette Deck to Desktop Recording

timbo64

Honorable
Jul 8, 2014
I want to transfer all of audio cassettes to my Dell XPS 8700 Desktop Win 8.1 64bit:I was told all I have to do is get a RCA to 3.5mm(stereo)cable and plug the 3.5mm into the mic jack on the desktop.then use software.It was suggested that I use Audacity(free)I have 100+ 90 minute cassettes recorded on TDK ma90's w/DBX noise reduction(my cassette deck decodes DBX)Once all is on the desktop I can stream to my AV receiver.Just want to make sure I was given the correct information,

Solution
I've never done this before, but it sounds mostly right. I believe Audacity is probably your best bet software wise, but instead of connecting the tape deck to the mic in, you'd instead use the line in. The levels used for mic and line are different and tape is line level out.

ien2222

Distinguished
I've never done this before, but it sounds mostly right. I believe Audacity is probably your best bet software wise, but instead of connecting the tape deck to the mic in, you'd instead use the line in. The levels used for mic and line are different and tape is line level out.

Solution