CD/DVD Drive makes noises, can't use RDP or shut down laptop

stormIT

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Dell Precision M4700
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Strange issue that's been intermittently happening with 4 laptops in my company (all the same model) including my laptop. Every so often (sometimes a few times in a week, sometimes just once or twice a month) the CD/DVD drive will start making noises. It's not a scratching noise and the drive is empty. It sounds as if it's ejecting or taking in a CD. You'll hear it move and stop, move and stop, move and stop. Continuous in the sense that it keeps happening over and over sometimes for up to 30 minutes or so. But there's about a 1-second pause in between each noise during that half hour. It eventually stops on its own.

The strange thing is when it's happening, I cannot open a Remote Desktop Connection. I don't mean I can't log into one, I mean when I click on it from the Start Menu nothing shows up... After the drive noise stops, the window eventually pops up.

Also, while the noise occurs, if I try to do a logical reboot or shutdown it seems to hang and I have to hold in the power button to shut it off then turn it back on.

I tried searching Google but it's such an odd issue that I couldn't find anyone else who has both the drive noise and the 2 side effect issues.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need any more info.