Cell Phones Closer To Replacing Credit Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Soo.. if you lose your phone you lose your card too?[/citation]

Soo.. if you lose your wallet you lose your card too?

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
So if your phone dies... you can't make calls AND you can't buy things.

Dumb idea until they SERIOUSLY improve phone battery life.

mp562

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Interesting idea, but they need to put some kind of encryption software on the phone like a keypad where you type in your code before the transaction goes through.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]noodlegts[/nom]So if your phone dies... you can't make calls AND you can't buy things.Dumb idea until they SERIOUSLY improve phone battery life.[/citation]
You need to order a new battery or change some settings in your phone... Mine will last for several days without charging and I bought it used.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aaron92[/nom]Soo.. if you lose your wallet you lose your card too?[/citation]
I've lost more cell phones then I have wallets, but then again my wallet has a chain that I attach to my pants so it won't get lost. Wonder if I can find something like that for my phone?

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]mp562[/nom]Interesting idea, but they need to put some kind of encryption software on the phone like a keypad where you type in your code before the transaction goes through.[/citation]

I guess you are oblivious to the fact that phones are already equipped with keypads and are capable of supporting various types of software. (smartphones)

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Bad idea. It's pretty easy to dispute a charge on your credit card. Try disputing anything on your cell phone bill. Not only that, the last thing I want is a technology that enables charges added to my phone bill just by being in the proximity of my phone. Also, who in their right mind would want 2 forms of ID merged into a gadget containing GPS? This is a sneaky idea that will sucker a lot of suckers. You think it's hard severing an agreement with a cellphone company now, wait til they got you 3 different ways. Hey i know, lets add health insurance and auto insurance to our cell phone too! doh!

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I was just thinking, doesn't MasterCard, VISA, and American Express all already offer this feature and in a much more convenient method since it's not actually "locked" to your phone.

G

Appearently loomis and DasUser didn't read the article very well, same with quite a few other posters here. The cellphone carries aren't taking care of the billing or processing of accounts so nothing will be charged to your cell bill, only to the account that is linked to the chip inside the phone. ATT, Verizon and T-mobile are just partnering up to form a company that will enable the technology. People really need to read before posting comments.

The drawback to this kind of thing is that cellphone theft is high enough now, just wait it'll get worse. However I'm not too worried since I've never lost a cell phone or my wallet, I have broken a few phones though.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
But seriously how how is it to take out a thin piece of plastic and slide it through the machine. Do we really need this on our phones cause we are to last to reach into our back pocket so we reach into our front pocket instead?

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]Does this mean I can stop writing checks!?!?!?[/citation]
There is already an app to deposit checks on smart phones.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
be interesting but even in chicago i rarely see people using many different forms of payment. jewel stores tried to use the fingerprint checkout devices at some of their stores and i never ever saw anyone try and then it went away. the same goes for those fancy cards that you can just tap on the reader device, never seen one used. besides all that, i'd wager a good chunk of people don't have real credit cards anymore as plenty are sticking to the various prepaid(load/unload) cards that are offered by just about everyone.

bottom line is credit cards are already simple and easy to use, the hard part (if any) is the multitude of weird of card readers that each store has. lets not make it any harder with using our smart phones, cause to be frank i dont think they are smart for that.

G

They should just make smartphones more secure. When you look at the iPhone, to answer a call you need to swipe the button to the right....

Why not incorporate a fingerprint scanner - same as those already found on T.P.M. laptops. To answer a call, or wake the device up swipe your finger over the reader. The same could be incorporated for when purchasing goods via smartphone - swipe your finger over the smartphone reader to authorise.....

.... or is that too simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.