Changing audio from speakers to headset through different inputs.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I have two monitors, they both have built in speakers. They're identified on the Sound menu.

My primary monitor is connected to my PC via DisplayPort, and my PS4 is connected to the same monitor through HDMI. My other monitor is connected via HDMI, but I'm not worried about that.

I switch inputs to HDMI to play my PS4, and I want my sound to come through my headset on my pc. The monitors did come with a green aux cable to connect to the back of the PC or other devices, and I'm not sure how it works.

I'm probably missing something stupidly easy and simple, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Ah, really? The more you know, I suppose. How would I go about fixing it? I'd want the sound to go to my headset if possible.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Run a separate analog/digital audio output from your Device to the analog/digital audio input of your PC soundcard... use your Sound Card Mixer App to Mix the levels... here is a Typical Sound card color code https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card

Light blue will be your Analog audio input... Digital inputs and outputs can be of different types of connectors and can cause a compatibility problem for this purpose.

It is possible that your monitor has a "headphone" output... Check you manual/PDF for your monitor for recommended use of the "green aux"... is it stated as "input" or 'Output"

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

The monitor does have a headphone/earphone jack, and the port next to it is an Audio In jack with the green color code. The monitor is an ASUS VS278 if you're interested in taking a look. I connected the Audio In to the Audio Out on the mobo sound card, and I'm not sure how to proceed from there.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 1) What kind of Audio outs does your PS4 have? this would be the best method to your Sound card.

2) You could try headphone out of the Monitor to the Sound card input... but depending on the impedance of the output, of your monitor and the impedance of the input of your Sound card... Volume levels and frequency response can cause sound problems... use your monitor controls and sound card App to adjust volumes between the Two for best sound.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

The PS4 has an optical out and HDMI in terms of sound. I tried to pick up a digital optical cable so I can run it to my PC, but the people at RadioShack don't even know what that is.

I have tried the headphone out to audio in, but it still pushes sound out of the monitor. I went through the monitor menu to try to find a section related to sound, but all it has is the volume control, nothing more.