Charging adaptor not charging battery

icecappacino

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Hello,

I have an acer aspire 5742z laptop
. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to charge/ recharge the battery. This is a sporadic case as if I leave the computer off it would fully charge the battery now and again. But charging while using is not working. The computer does work if I remove the battery and rely on AC/DC.

Does this mean I have to get a new battery or should I be looking at something else?

It sounds like your charger cord is the problem.

If it never charged, I would say it was the battery. However, the fact that it charges when off, but not when on, tells me that the charger cord is not putting out the right amount of power to both run the device and charge the battery at the same time. Which happens when the charger is going bad or damaged, even if you can't see the damage.

Also, some devices won't run if the battery isn't in. They are just set up that way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 5
Aryamaan08 Laptop Tech Support 4
O Laptop Tech Support 2
RegisZDB Laptop Tech Support 1
Ryun1975 Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
MidasTouche Laptop Tech Support 0
T Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 10
K Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
Similar threads
Question Dell Latitude E5540 only recognizes the power cord when the battery is removed. Won't charge.
Question Laptop crashing and throttling when off charge
Question Fully charged laptop (still charging) shuts down and reboots with no charge
Question HP Pavilion 14-bf008na Laptop won’t fully charge
Question How can I fix my alienware 17r3s overheating/charger problems?
Question Laptop won’t turn on after removing and putting back the battery
Question lenovo yoga 910 saying charging even laptop is not plugged in
Question Laptop full charge capacity reduced a lot in 2 months.
Question Toshiba Laptop charger connects and disconnects
MSI GS43VR only charges when off or idle.
What is the possible problem if the laptop is charging and it will open but if you use only the adaptor with out battery its n
Asus GL502VM not charging after using another adaptor
Charge without adaptor
My laptop won't charge more than 15% I tried booting without adaptor and battery,nothing works. It won't boot without battery
As I connecting my adaptor with laptop, adaptor light start flickering and laptop is not charging. When I plugged off adaptor
My dell laptop vostro 1540,after changing new battery,it does not work on 65w adaptor,but works (charge) on 90w.
toshiba laptop battery while plugged in is saying 100% charged.. when i unplug the ac adaptor the pc shuts down ... pc health
Laptop charger makes weird noise and turns off laptop after plugging in (help)
As I connecting my adaptor with laptop, adaptor light start blinking and laptop is not charging. When I plugged off adaptor fr
Battery not charging, AC adaptor not helping

ASK THE COMMUNITY