Cheap laptop with a desktop pc or a gaming laptop?

Raspacumlaude_98

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I'm a freshman university student heading for mechanical engineering this august, should I get a cheap laptop like an hp stream or a chromebook for portability and simple word processing in conjunction with a desktop for more serious work like CAD design?(Also for the casual steam games) or get an expensive desktop-like laptop like an i7559 or something along that route.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Johnson Mike

Estimable
May 4, 2016
You'll need a laptop to take to your university for projects and assignments so go with a decent specced laptop instead of a laptop for just word processing and desktop.

Desktops are actually good for CAD but portability is the main aspect to look for in a student's computer.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I'm in the same boat as you (game developer course) and decided to go with a clevo/sager (same brand). These laptops can be build to whatever you want in them. I would not recommend you a separate setup if you are doing CAD design because if you ever need to work somewhere else or need to use your laptop it just won't work.

Get a laptop with an i7 16gb of ram and anything like a gtx 960m or above will be good. Also make sure it has a good IPS screen because having the right colors is important.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
saidrafly Laptop General Discussion 0
firstlov Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 2
M Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 1
1 Laptop General Discussion 1
V Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 9
xaephod Laptop General Discussion 2
Mason1204 Laptop General Discussion 2