Check cable connection! PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM

JonnyRotten

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I understand that this is triggered due to no harddrive found for boot (and then subsequently no network). (Plenty of googling shows it to be quite common).

I have ensured the harddrive is the first in the list in the boot priority in BIOS.

The error is intermittent. I can power off a few times and eventually it will boot.

I even tried a different harddrive and the same behaviour was witnessed. So it appears to be hardware related but not harddrive related. If that is the case, what component could be failing?

The machine is a laptop.

Aug 8, 2018
I replaced the battery and the bios battery on a Dell 15z 5523 and had this error message. I thought I had damaged one of the flat cables or fried something with static electricity at first. Long story short: Changed the Boot Method from "Legacy" to "UEFI". That solved the issue. I guess the BIOS is not set up to point to the right spot to locate the hard disks. I had already used F12 and run the diagnostics on the drives with not problem, so I knew the drives and connections were ok. Not sure why the BIOS defaults to the Legacy setting?