Choosing a Mac or PC

Imranfarid2020

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hi guys i am in India...

I will be going to college within a few months.....and i dont have a laptop yet..i am completely a windows user but my friends insisted me to go for a mac..

I Will do...

Learn C++ , Java and other programming..
Web Browsing..
Entertainment...

I Wont do....

Gaming...
Photoshops and Art works...

If the Mac is suitable for Mainly mainly C++ , HTML 5 , Visual Basic and Java then i would surely opt for a mac ...is it worth it...i would certainly be buying the Macbook air with a 128GB SSD

Solution

Yes indeed, you can write Java , C++ , HTML 5 and Visual Basic on a Mac. Even if you choose to do so via a VM (Parrallels or VMWare Fusion) or bootcamp. Have you always wanted to have a Mac because of the user interface or is there another Mac feature you're attracted to. Since I have both I can honestly tell you that OS X isn't any easier to use than Windows 7...though I think I prefer the look and feel of OS X.
check with your class work and see if the software there using is mac or pc. the big issue is not the cost but are you as the user going to like the mac os or do you like the windows os better?? myself i used windows too long..i dont think i would like the mac os.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I use both, OS X 10.7/8 and Windows 7 are fine. Given what you've already specified how important are things like build materials and screen resolution? I mention them because they're very very important to me. However, if you wouldn't mind having a laptop with a lot of plastic in the chassis and a 1920x1080 screen then you have a lot of choices for not much money.

If you want something better the choices narrow. So...are these things important to you?

Imranfarid2020

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Screen Resolution and the specs are not that important to me....just the reliability and the easy to use experience of a mac....i always wanted to have a mac

Can a Mac do these.....

Java , C++ , HTML 5 and Visual Basic

Plz help......

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Yes indeed, you can write Java , C++ , HTML 5 and Visual Basic on a Mac. Even if you choose to do so via a VM (Parrallels or VMWare Fusion) or bootcamp. Have you always wanted to have a Mac because of the user interface or is there another Mac feature you're attracted to. Since I have both I can honestly tell you that OS X isn't any easier to use than Windows 7...though I think I prefer the look and feel of OS X.

Solution

email4nickp

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I'd highly recommend a mac. It isn't junked up and only comes with what you need.
As for Java, C++ ect it can do all that just like a windows machine.
Also look at parallels. It runs windows (and hence windows applications) as if you are opening any other app.
Also, I'd recommend fitting it with the maximum amount of ram; it isn't upgradable.
Hope this helps.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
My wife has a 2011 MacBook Air. Its a fine machine but unless weight is the most important thing to you I'd recommend getting a 13" MBP instead since you can indeed upgrade the storage and RAM.

Imranfarid2020

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Thanks guys