Status
Not open for further replies.

clifford64

Estimable
May 18, 2014
I have found that chrome causes my computer to freeze and i don't know what it is. I will be browsing and the computer will start to hang and in task manager it shows performance of everything is normal except for disk, I have an ssd and the read/write speeds are 0, but the disk is using 100% and average speed is 0.0ms. I have found that it is only chrome. Using firefox it works fine, but firefox doesn't have good support for html5 and youtube videos because it has to use flashplayer for most. I have windows 8.1 64 bit with 8gb of ram and tried 64 and 32 bit of chrome and both do it. I have tried installing windows 7 64 bit on a different hard drive and use chrome on that and it still does it. Any one have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

clifford64

Estimable
May 18, 2014
This has been going on for a while now and I've noticed it to be only this computer. I had a laptop that never had this problem. I've already posted a topic in google groups for chrome to see if anyone else is having this issue and no one seems to be. In task manager my hard drive will lock up with 100% disk usage and 0 read/write speeds and latency will also be 0. When this started happening, I thought it was a bad hard drive so I replaced it with an SSD and with the speed of an SSD, i just can't see how chrome would be too much for it to handle.

regrebner

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
i have also experienced this with several of my computers. one is a high end gaming laptop with i7 3630qm, nvidea graphics, 8gb ram, 750 gb SSD , windows 8.1 premium.... it would have 100% disk for about 10-15 minutes after start up / restart. i also experienced this with another laptop with an i5 - medium end build straight out of the box. i installed chrome on it and it did the same thing. i uninstalled chrome on both after hearing the rumor, low and behold, the disk usage is now normal. I have chrome installed on my high end desktop with 4 SSD on it. chrome is installed on an alternative SSD where windows is not installed and it doesn't have any problems. It seems if chrome is installed on the same drive as windows it will bug out. it may be due to google being a competitor with windows... i wouldn't put it past them to make it run like that on purpose to make people think its a problem with windows... try making a partition, or installing a second HD, or just uninstall chrome all together until they fix it.

clifford64

Estimable
May 18, 2014

What would be the easiest way to install chrome on a different drive? I've seen some guides say it involves quite a bit. When you say install it on a different partition, like install another version on windows on a different drive and install chrome and then go back to original windows 8 and run chrome off of the other installation?

clifford64

Estimable
May 18, 2014
After having moved chrome to a different hard drive than my windows 8.1 installation I had the same problem occur, but this time instead of the C: drive freezing which windows is installed on, it was the Z: drive which chrome is installed on. I used this method which did install it in my Z: drive because it didn't change the file sizes of my C: drive. An image of task manager at the time is http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=20ky8ih&s=8#.VOVWePnF_TA
I screenshot it right after it unfroze so normally the 4% would be 100% and all the other numbers would be 0. Does anyone else have a different method of installing chrome to another drive or a different solution for me to try?

clifford64

Estimable
May 18, 2014
UPDATE: I also don't think this a chrome only issue, just now I had a problem pulling up the steam store through the steam application even though it was already running and it froze my C: drive because that is where steam is stored. I also remember having an issue where saints row 4 was installed to D: drive with all my other games and it would freeze my D: drive often when playing, but moving it onto my windows installation drive C: which is an SSD, saints row 4 ran perfectly fine with no issues.

clifford64

Estimable
May 18, 2014
SOLUTION: I believe i have found the solution. After trying different ideas and no success, i have found one that has worked and no lock ups so far. I used this guide I went into my bios settings and found that the hard drives were in IDE mode instead of ACHI mode. I followed the guide to activate ACHI and then boot into safe mode to install drivers and then booted into regular windows and i havent had a freeze up since which i have been having one about every day. So this is the solution that fixed my issue and I hope anyone who finds this, that it will fix yours as well.

THIS IS THE SOLUTION

I cannot mark it as the answer, but this is what solved my issue

terryterryterry

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
Do what I have done. Move to Firefox until Chrome fixes the problem. When enough users have done this they will fix it.
The only time I need Chrome is if I want to use Chromecast but I can live without it.

Puddinhead13

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015
I noticed that Chrome would freeze most often when I visited a page that had video ads running on the perimeter. I added an AdBlock extension and that seems to have solved the issue.

Nathen Allison

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
This has been happening to me and my very fast recording computer with an AMD 8350 16gigs ram SSD's and the works, it also happens to my other i5 750 6gigs ram SSD, Ive tried multiple fixes offered by others online to no avail. Internet explorer works great sometimes not playing videos on facebook worst case. Ive been trying firefox nightly but it has a flaw as in crashing when full screening videos from time to time, I get the blue screen of death and then crash "really not a good experience". Maybe i will try just regular firefox and see how that works because i am really tired of chrome doing this. It happens once about every 10 or 15 minutes while browsing/ people should ban chrome

felipe_zanon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007

Hello. Recently i have changed to and SSD and i was experiencing the same sympthom (Chrome was randomly freezing the computer). I tried to clear cache and other things that i read on forums, but none have worked. Then i read your post and realized that my SATA was configured to IDE. Then, i have changed to ACHI and bingo! No more hangs. However, randomly i started to see the core.exe process using 25% of CPU (i.e, 100% of one core). A bit of investigation showed that there was a bank protection software (called Warsaw) that causing it. Then i have uninstalled this software and everything is working fine now. My impression is that when SATA is set to IDE mode, since there is no command queue, the disk access gets stucked in case some software hangs accessing it. However, in ACHI mode there is the command queue, so it does not hangs the entire computer... Anyway, thanks!

William_91

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I work in a small IT/Repair shop and have 20 years experience. I have been having this issue on one of my PCs, but only one and I have three with similar configs, which leaves only chrome or the drive itself.
I am not running in IDE mode in BIOS. The problem computer is as follows:
FX-6300 CPU, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GT 970 GPU, Samsung 850 EVO SSD (and various other storage drives).
Symptoms are the same, linking to a new page or sometimes clicking javascript elements on the page will trigger chrome to lock up with 100% disk utilization. Often it will be stuck at "waiting for cache" on the status bar, and sometimes it locks the entire PC as the SSD is of course my system drive, until the event clears itself.

I have tried a few things to no avail, but one road may be significant. I have deleted cache and history, reinstalled chrome, backed up and deleted my appdata chrome folder and reinstalled, disabled all extensions, all with limited success.
However, a reinstall with no remaining appdata folder and without signing chrome into google seemed to work. Being intermittent, I cannot be sure, but it seemed so. This leads me to believe that there is some sort of corruption in the local data/database that chrome holds for a user that causes a bad read or loop internally.

The next thing I am going to try is koshyjohn's diskmax. I used this tool quite a bit a year or two ago, but not on Win 10 yet. It does clear all browser databases so we shall see. If that fails the next step is to try in a new user profile, then again after renaming the machine. This is because I believe that the DB is different per User/PC combo. My laptop (i7 SSD) uses chrome synced to the same account and has no issues. However, for recent tabs at least, chrome keeps the computer name, so perhaps as a last ditch effort, an new PC name and resyncing to google will fix.

I will keep you posted.

bailey1944

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

William_91

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
An update.

I used diskmax from koshyjohn to run its chrome DB optimization and clear chromes cache/history. I have not had a problem since. Using Chromes builtin clear history did not.

Hope this helps.

Judy_16

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Since I have Kaspersky this year which protects sensitive websites like my bank, I no longer needed Trusteer which my bank wanted me to install. Took a bit of doing and finally got it all uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller, and now my Chrome is working fine. Sometimes shockwave fails but that doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes what I want to print gets stuck. I can still close the browser though. When that happens as it does occasionally before the crashing, I open task manager and there are chrome files still open so I do an end process and all is fine. Hope this helps someone else.

jascat

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015

Google chrome is also freezing in internet sites for me. This only started a few days ago. It is a real pain. You have to come out of the internet & go back in. Unfortunately, it freezes up again after a few minutes.
Internet is fine on ordinary Google & IE.

GeoffSmith1

Commendable
May 19, 2016
I had the same issue - tried everything, but with no results.
I have uninstalled Chrome and am now using Mozilla Firefox - I have not had one freeze since changing.... Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.