Chrome will NOT recognize that I have the latest adobe flash installed

Oct 19, 2017
Yesterday, every webpage which uses adobe flash, using Google Chrome, doesn't recognize that I DO have the latest adobe flash version. I have to click on the "Run This Time" button as well as close the Chrome doesn't support xxxxxx banner It also doesn't like my computers running Vista and XP, which I will NOT upgrade.
Any fixes? None have worked so far.

Solution
Beginning in January, Google made Flash not run unless you approved it before on each site. This month they also made it so you have to approve it each session. If you have the correct PPAPI version of Flash installed it should run but you do have to approve it each time.

Chrome dropped XP and Vista after v49 back in April, 2016. The last updated major browser for XP and Vista is the ESR variant of Firefox and 52.4.1 was released just 10 days ago. The 52ESR branch is due to end on June 26, 2018 and 53 + newer aren't compatible with XP or Vista. Note you would use the NPAPI version of Flash for Firefox.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Beginning in January, Google made Flash not run unless you approved it before on each site. This month they also made it so you have to approve it each session. If you have the correct PPAPI version of Flash installed it should run but you do have to approve it each time.

Chrome dropped XP and Vista after v49 back in April, 2016. The last updated major browser for XP and Vista is the ESR variant of Firefox and 52.4.1 was released just 10 days ago. The 52ESR branch is due to end on June 26, 2018 and 53 + newer aren't compatible with XP or Vista. Note you would use the NPAPI version of Flash for Firefox.

Solution
Oct 19, 2017

Thanks for the info. So, Firefox won't even work on Vista or XP operating systems. Interesting. With my XP laptop, I connect with vendors who require XP. It is too old to update the operating system. I also have a $17K diagnostic system, just over a year old, and it is XP based. When I bought it, they assured me it would never have a problem with the XP. I asked them if it could be updated, as Windows 10 had been out for awhile. They said no, it has to use the XP operating system. Looks like a big class action lawsuit against Google and Firefox is gonna happen if they idle millions of computers.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
As I said (and gave you a link for), the ESR version will be fully functional and supported until June 2018 eight months from now. But yes, the normal version of Firefox hasn't worked and has refused to install in XP since April 19 this year. If you don't like that I hear they will give you a 100% refund of what you paid for it.

With the POSready 2009 registry change, XP has received security updates every month since normal XP support ended in April 2014, and will continue to receive updates and MSE definitions until April 9, 2019. Keep in mind these updates do not include the parts of XP that aren't in POSready 2009 such as the multimedia bits. As even an updated OS isn't much use if there is no current browser for it, hopefully someone will continue producing one after June 2018.

Vista of course ended support on April 11 this year, so XP is actually more up-to-date than Vista.

Oct 19, 2017

Oct 19, 2017

Thank you again. Who would give me a 100% refund for what?
I'm over my head, but my XP and Vista computers are all running Firefox, the latest being my XP laptop and everything works OK, so far.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Yeah, it's kind of hard to sue someone in a "class-action lawsuit" for no longer giving you something for free, that they used to give you for free. After all what are the damages, exactly?

But yes, you should definitely check your version of Firefox on XP and Vista. If it didn't automatically switch over to ESR branch, then it's 6 months out-of-date and you should manually install that.