zorak16

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hey guys,
I read today online that there's a new Chrome OS coming out with a new line of Chromebooks starting Sep 17.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/13/9145379/dell-chromebook-13-laptop-price-specs

For $400 dollars it just struck me as odd that the entry level of a new Chromebook only has 2GB of RAM. 400 is rather pricey for a Chromebook, so I figured there would be more.

It made me wonder though....if I were to get a Chromebook, what matters most? RAM or CPU? Is 2GB of RAM seriously enough to have dozens of tabs and other apps open at once? Is the Chromebook's performance more affected by the CPU? I'm sure a faster processor means faster boot times, but is the performance of a Chromebook in general dependent more on the RAM or the CPU?

Thanks in advance!

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Interesting question. There's a similar story now here about that model. One thing you're paying for, is a bigger, nicer screen.

I think CPU would be more important. Chrome's a web-centric OS. RAM shouldn't be that big a deal, unless you routinely open up a LOT of tabs. Page rendering, tho, would be CPU-bound.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I am going to resurrect this, in case someone else is wondering.

Right now, the most common offered Chromebooks are using either a Celeron or an i3 (there are a few i5s out there).
For heavy usage, you want the i3. When you have a bunch of pages up, you will see display lags with the Celeron.
This isnt to say more RAM isnt better also.