Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
I've been trying to find the ideal laptop and I just don't know where to start. I'm looking for an ultra-portable, mostly for writing and browsing the web. Basically I'm at a crossroads. Should I go down the path of Chrome OS or Windows 10?

I read this article on Laptop Magazine, but I'm still not sure. What do you guys think?

Solution

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

In terms of apps Windows 10 has a lot more accessibility that Chrome OS. It would be nice to do some light photoshopping or to be able to use Ableton if I'm in a pickle.

I heard that Chrome OS may be able to do Windows 10 Virtualization in the near future. Is this available for all chromebooks or just a few?

USAFRet

Illustrious
For an 'ultra-portable', consider an Asus Transformer.
I have one, and it is a great travel device.
Win 8.1 or 10.

However, if I had to use it all the time, I would go mad. The keyboard is simply too small for adult male hands, for actual typing.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

I would say 95% of the time I would just be writing and browsing the web. It may be silly to get windows for that meager 5% of the time.

jozeph

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Chrome OS isn't popular and will disappear in the next years. For surfing the web on your couch a tablet is nice, for writing you need a decent keyboard. I'd recommend an android transformer. Try out the keyboard before you buy though. Smaller devices have smaller keyboards. If you want to run windows software, a windows transformer is nice too, but android is easier to use on a touchscreen.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

There are already many OEM manufacturers producing for the platform. Why do you think ChromeOS will disappear in the next few years?

I read Chromebooks are pretty popular in the education sector so they so seem to sell. Whether Google earns a slight profit... I do not know. But the point is to lock users into their ecosystem so that there are more people viewing ads from Google.

Version 51 of Chrome OS (still being developed) has as a option that allows Android Apps to run in Chrome OS. But that option disappears from the screen indicating that feature is still under development.

Johnson Mike

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Yesterday in Google i/O, Google announced that Chrome OS will support all native Android apps. That might be a good reason to get Chromebook but wait, they said it will run Android apps i.e. Apps developed for Android phones and tablets! We still don't have any clue on how those apps will run on Chromebooks. Imagine if it runs in mobile resolution! According to me for just reducing baggage, you shouldn't get Chromebook. There are lot of cheaper light weight windows laptops ex: Acer Cloudbook, HP Stream 11 or 13.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

I saw this announcement yesterday and I'm interested in the prospects. At the very least this will greatly increase the number of apps available for Chromebook users. What's wrong with having an app run in mobile resolution? Most phones are super high-res these days anyways.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well typically Chrome PC's are low in resources and to use VM's effectively they need resources. Remember VM's share from the system resources. Plus to run Windows in a VM you would need a license for Windows and that is between 100 and 200. I would suggest a Windows machine of a Chromebook.

One thing to consider before purchasing a Chromebook is how to print documents from it. Since Chromebooks do not allow you to install any drivers, there is no way to get Chromebook to work with a "traditional" printer. You need to use a printer that is compatible with Google Cloud Print which also means the printer has to have wireless functionality or be able to connect to a network.

Windows is generally more flexible... especially since you can install the Bluestacks emulator on a Windows or Mac OS to run Android apps.

http://www.bluestacks.com/

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I will be getting a Chromebook soon.
No more Windows @#$@#$ to deal with.

Plenty of offline apps, and the world of Android apps soon.
I am just about settled on the Dell Chromebook 13 i3 w/ 8GB RAM & 32GB SSD, and I will pop the bottom off and upgrade the SSD to 512GB (42 mm M.2). I am still going back and forth regarding the touch screen.

Since like the OP I am 95%+ driven by browsing and writing for this, it will take care of that nicely. And if I ever get sick of it, I can always turn it into a Linux box (or go dual boot).

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

And as a followup.

That is a completely moronic comparison which might have been written by a Microsoft Employee. Parts of it are utterly wrong.

Media: VLC player is available for Chromebook, so you can play any video. Same with audio format.
File Management/Storage: you can upgrade your SSD yourself (depending on the model)
Gaming: Stupid comparison, you want a dedicated gaming laptop, different machine, different price range.

The only bit of garbage the linked article missed was the "Chromebooks are useless without the internet".

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Solution

Johnson Mike

Honorable
May 4, 2016

I am worried if it will look like bluestacks! 640 x 960 on 1366 x 768 I mean in that way it would look ugly.