Cleaning Notebook - Keyboard screws stripped?

PleaseHelpMeKK

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
So I have not took out the keyboard ever, but I always took apart a few pieces to clean better with dust off

I have HP dv7-1245dx and the 4 keyboard screws are almost stripped with no thread.... i used the appropriate screwdrivers but it did not get them lose

could a few years have welded these keys shut? I really need to clean the fan of this computer =/ temperatures are getting too high and yes i use a good notebook cooler! :(

It seems unlikely that the screws would be subjected to enough heat to weld them - the more common thing would be to find that they had used locktite on those screws. Try using a quality 00 philips head (they are hard to find - hobby shops are a good source) driver, don't try to force the screw to remove it - turn until resistance, back off, repeat. It is important that you do not completely strip the screw head since "drilling out" the screws isn't really a feasable option (if you get to that point, I would suggest taking it to a professional).

Pyree

Distinguished
Put rubber band on top of the screw to use the rubber band to fill in the gap between the screw driver and the screw to remove it.

After you remove them, I suggest you get some good second hand screws from ebay.

PleaseHelpMeKK

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
what your saying doesnt really make too much sense?
what gap am i filling? the screws are almost stripped froma X to a star head shape

also - i am using quality tools already thats why i am worried they are welded from the heat.... my screwdrivers fit PERFECTLY and i use a phillips and flathead and both failed, after some pressure i got minimal stripping, and to the others i tried with mass pressure and they only stripped

yes lefty loosy righty tighty , but the screws are tighter than usual... trust me they are to the point where you would be like wtf, let me post on forum

I do not want to super glue the screwdriver into the screw to unscrew them, because then i ruin my quality tools

Pyree

Distinguished
The screws are tight because they are glued to the hole. But it shouldn't be to tight that it can't be removed.

The stripped X on the screw don't fit the screw driver. But you can put a rubber band in between to fill in the gap for more grip between the screw and the driver.

ts504-remove-stripped-screw-step2-use-wide-rubber-band-450x394.jpg

The screws are not of the best quality (obviously), I've ruined a few during removal but have always managed, through some perseverance, to pull them before total destruction of the head.
I read through quite a few threads on stripped screws and found not much useful, the rubber band to add friction trick as mentioned by Pyree; or using a torqs bit (that fits the stripped area) - I don't know about that, but it could work; or drilling it out (again, I don't suggest that unless absolutely no other options work); or even grasping the head (if not flush) with wire nippers to try turning it.
I suppose they are all somewhat viable methods to try at this point