Cleaning out laptop's fans

Should I use a Vacuum or Compressed Air on a laptop with a sealed battery?

• Vacuum! (please also explain in an answer if you have personal experience)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Compressed Air! (please explain brand, procedure, etc)

• I wouldn't trust you to do it. Take it to a repair shop.

• Total voters

michaelwii

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hello, I have a laptop that I've currently been using for nearly 2 years. I recently noticed my laptop was getting warm to the touch (warmer than useful AND on the top, not just the bottom as usual).

Downloaded CoreTemp, found out my cores (and my gpu) were in the mid-70s Celsius. I installed Speedfan to see if I could possibly control fan speeds, to no avail. Running at practically ideal (a few tabs open on google, including this one), I'm still in the mid-70s. GPU still hot, which makes no sense as there's nothing requiring my GPU in google chrome.

This is when I really try to pay attention to the fan, and I realize that it's barely pushing any air out. It occasionally actually gets loud enough to be heard, and I can feel a warm breeze coming out (put the exhaust vent to my face to make sure). So it is working, but I think I'm long over due to clean up the vents. So here's my actual question:

Laptop has a sealed battery. Can't get it out. Do I still use a can of compressed air? And about that. People say (and when I first saw how it worked, I had to agree), it PUSHES the air around the laptop's interior, and may not actually get all of it out. Could also damage the fan, even if used in compressed bursts. They recommend a non-metal vacuum with a brush (or at least a grounded vacuum with a brush) to suck the dust out.

This makes more sense in my opinion. You don't push dust that's accumulated on a threshold INTO a closed room with no other door. Better to suck it out, right? But using a vacuum on a fan doesn't seem any safer. Any advice/experience on the matter? Should I just take it into a shop and ask for their help?

tl;dr: Do I use a vacuum or a compressed air can on a laptop with a sealed battery?

michaelwii

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

So you would recommend the vacuum? Do you open the case up or do you use the vacuum alongside the vents only?