Clearing BIOS Password = New Password?

voltoid27

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Before I start, I want to make one thing very clear: I am not asking for a backdoor password or anything of that nature. I just want to know if anyone knows why this happened:

A month or two ago, I decided my Gateway LT40 netbook didn't need a BIOS password anymore. I hit F2 on bootup, entered my password, and got in. I went to the Security tab (I think that's what it's called, I don't remember) and went to change the Supervisor Password. I put my password in once and then again to confirm, no problem. When prompted to set a new password, I just hit enter, assuming that the password would be removed and I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

Wrong.

Now whenever I try to get into the BIOS, I am confronted with the Enter Current Password window. The old password doesn't work and neither does pressing enter. I'd like to sell this netbook, but I don't want to stick the problem on someone else who needs to get into the BIOS.

Does anyone have any explanation for this or a recommended course of action?

grembandilla

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Best bet clear the Bios by removing the CMOS battery =) will clear it for you and you will be good to go.

Also there should be a jumper near the battery you may need to move it to the PWSD CLR or CLPS slot. it can say a multitude of things.

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
So you arent asking how to bypass it, except when you asked how to bypass it by asking for a course of action. Contact Gateway (if they even exist anymore) and prove ownership, they can help you.

voltoid27

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
I don't necessarily want to bypass it; my primary goal is to figure out what actually happened and why it happened. If I figure that out, the rest will hopefully fall into place.

Gateway does exist, but they have no interest in helping me. I bought the netbook refurbished, and it seems that the previous owner didn't de-register it.