Clevo 570A video card

toetod

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I need a new video card for my Clevo M570A. Does anyone know of any vendors? Or should I try various resellers (Sager and such) that sold Clevo notebooks? I'm just hoping to avoid what I'm sure are expensive reseller markups. My vendor doesn't offer my vid card anymore, and the onboard GPU, while making my notebook functional, is killing me.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Umm... Are you looking to replace your laptop's onboard video card with a better one?

Sadly, most laptops video cards cannot be changed at all. Usually, when companies offer "upgrades" to laptop video cards, this means usually changing the whole laptop to one that has your specified video card in it. You cannot just change the video card on a laptop like a desktop one can.

Besides, the Clevo M570A is a budget laptop with a Chrome9 video card so I don't think it's one of those laptops in which the video card can be changed...

toetod

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
This is my first laptop, bought Feb '06, but the case model is the Clevo M570A, and the video card is replaceable. And it wasn't a budget laptop. I'm suppose the case can hold budget components, some of which do not have separate video components. This one has a Midern motherboard, model M570A, with an Intel i915GM / 82801FBM chipset, and a 2.0GHz Pentium M760, and 2 GB of DDR2. The video card is a PCI-Express x16 nVidia GeForce Go 7800GTX with 256MB. I've had it out a few times to completely clean it and all the heatsinks. Even the P4M is replaceable.

The company I bought it from originally offered it with either the nVidia or an ATI Mobility Radeon X700. Unfortunately they don't carry these cards anymore, but said they could possibly order another one, but they quoted me about $600.

I'm hoping somebody out here might know of a resource or another vendor that may still support this model. Actually, I find it hard to believe that the actual video card format isn't somewhat standardized. The video card itself is very small and is fully enclosed in the copper heatsink, although it's not very difficult at all to remove it.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, the whole non standardized format is really annoying. They tried to do so with MXM format, but now a bunch of companies have their own versions of MXM that are incompatible, while others just didn't adopt it.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find them...it's not on Ebay either...

toetod

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
After a little bit more searching, I've found that my card is based on the ATI Axiom (non)standard. Which explains why "nVidia" doesn't appear anywhere on the card itself (except on the GPU, which of course is buried under goop).