Clicked phishing email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goliathus

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
I got an email from paypal about spending $190 which coincided with when I bought something cheap this morning.
In a momentary lapse of judgement I clicked the link to view my history before realizing what I had done, and closing it about half a second later before it could fully open.

I assume the link would have wanted me to enter my personal details, but I'm worried about viruses. I've already scanned my PC and cleared my browser, is there anything else I should do?

Solution
If your concern is about phishing, then you are correct in assuming it would want you to enter in your details. The whole point is to get you to click on a link that looks official, takes you a site that looks official, and prompts you to enter your account information. As far as browser based viruses go, they rely on either having you download something or running a script in your browser. From the sound of things, you didn't allow enough of the site to load for this to take place, but running your virus scan to be 100% sure certainly didn't hurt anything.

I am about 99.5% sure you are okay at this point.

Steve_170

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
If your concern is about phishing, then you are correct in assuming it would want you to enter in your details. The whole point is to get you to click on a link that looks official, takes you a site that looks official, and prompts you to enter your account information. As far as browser based viruses go, they rely on either having you download something or running a script in your browser. From the sound of things, you didn't allow enough of the site to load for this to take place, but running your virus scan to be 100% sure certainly didn't hurt anything.

I am about 99.5% sure you are okay at this point.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.