Cloning HDD to SSD on Sony VAIO VPCSE1BFX.. Not working!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2018
I recently bought a new SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 250GB that I would like to use to replace the OEM Toshiba 640GB HDD that is in the laptop. I have tried almost every possible way to clone my HDD to my new SSD and even when it says successful, the moment I turn on the laptop with the SSD installed, it pops up with "No Operating System". I have used partition software to reduce partitions to clone directly since I am only using about 160GB of the 640GB HDD anyways. The only fix I can potentially try next is re-installing Windows onto the new drive, and re-installing every driver for the computer. The problem is I do not have a Win 7 CD and I believe I need specific Win 7 software to use the Product Key affixed to the laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions worth trying? This doesn't make sense.

May 15, 2018
I've tried it numerous times. Originally it was failing and I guessed it was because the partition itself was too big, even though there was only 152GB taken up. Now I've created a separate partition of the free space and my C: is currently at 152GB used, and 45.5GB free space. In Disk Management it shows the C: as 198.18 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition). When I connect the SSD via USB, and I look in Disk Management, it shows the E: as 198.18 GB NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition). Could it be as simple as changing the name of the drive to C: somehow? I am not sure how to do that though while it's connected via USB and the primary drive being utilized is the C: on the HDD..?

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, you can't just change the C drive letter like that. It won't let you.

OK...
Can you return the system to working status before the SSD install?
If so, redo the clone operation.
Like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

May 15, 2018
My HDD is still working fine, as I am actually on that particular laptop now. I can erase and format the SSD though and start over with the instructions you posted and report back in a little bit. Thanks

rjsq1989

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I have recently met the similar problem. The error message with ssd installed is something like "specific device not available". I fixed the issue by changing volume letter (drive letter) manually and reset boot table to SSD's Windows folder.

The only clone software I have used that is "smart" enough to change volume letter (drive letter) to C: is "Samsung Data Migration". However, it apparently does not work on SSD of other brands.

To change your volume letter, you will need a bootable device which is either a CD/DVD or USB drive. It doesn't matter which version of Windows 7 it has as long as you can start "Command Line" using it.

Once you enter Command Line mode, use built-in command "partdisk" to check drives connected. There should be a ID associated with it (1 digit number only used in partdisk). Select the SSD and change its letter to C:

After doing so, exit the partdisk. Use command "bcdboot c:\windows" to set boot folder to SSD with C: letter now.

Now, if you don't have Win7 bootable device, you will need to create your own. You can download Win7 iso from 3rd party website like "MSDN i tell you" or http://windowsiso.net/. Then use software like Rufus to create bootable device.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Per my steps above, Macrium Reflect works just fine.

The key step that everyone misses is to disconnect the old drive at the end of the clone process, and allow the system to boot up from only the new drive.
That will become its own C drive.

No messing around with the commandline needed.

rjsq1989

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Then Macrium Reflect may be a smart software itself.

However the PC I worked on has only 1 SATA connector left for hard drive. So your assumption that old drive not disconnect is not the case. The issue still occurred with only SSD connected.

May 15, 2018
So while responding earlier regarding the specifics on my SSD, I noticed that the main partition on the SSD with the cloned data that was Healthy and Primary had an option when right-clicking that said "set as active." I decided to try this before erasing and trying everything all over again. After trying this, I restarted with the SSD installed via MB instead of USB, and I got a new error of BOOTMGR is missing. So I restarted and placed a Win 7 System Repair Disk in the DVD-Rom. It found the error, repaired it and IT WORKS!!

So apparently, I needed to just set the cloned partition on the SSD to ACTIVE and then restart and repair BOOTMGR. Now it's up and running perfectly. Thank you all for the help and prompt responses. Hopefully, if nothing else, anyone else with this problem finds this thread and makes sure to click SET AS ACTIVE.

May 18, 2018
Hello!

I have the same problem as you, I recently bought the same SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 500GB and tried to install it on a Vaio VPC YB1S1E.
I cloned the disk with the Acronis True Image software, and changed the HDD by the SSD and the PC started without problems and works well for a few minutes, although after 15 minutes the PC becomes unstable and the disk access light remains turned on and the computer is locked for 1 minute to then continue to work apparently well. these pauses happen more and more times and the pc gets stuck.

In the BIOS of insydeH2O does not appear the option to select the AHCI mode, so I do not know if the PC is using the SSD correctly.

I think that the cloning was done correctly but that the Sony VAIO VPC YB motherboard MBX-244 (AMD E-350 APU Fusion) does not work properly with the SSD.

Still I will try to make sure to mark the partition as active in the cloning program.

Can someone help me with this? Do you think that the VPC YB model does not work well with SSD?

Thanks in advance for the answers, regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.