Cloning my laptop hdd with aomei

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
Have downloaded the free version of aomei that allows disk cloning,I have a hdd given to me as the laptop screen had failed I have bought a sata docking station that allows usb connection. I also have 2 external hard drives that connect via usb.
When using the cloning software I can select my hdd but when I go to the next stage none of my usb devices are showing to select as the destination. I have read the help files which seem to suggest that a usb device can be used but I get the feeling that a usb device has to be prepared before use but the help files do not say how?
Can any one help?

Solution
OK.

Don't create a "clone" on the USB drive. Instead create an "Image" of Vista. The entire drive encapsulated in a single file.
This will allow a fallback position, to go back to Vista if needed.

I much prefer Macrium Reflect, but I guess your AOMEI would work.

As for Win 10?
Completely unknown if you have a valid path to a Win 10 upgrade from your system.

k1114

Distinguished
That's for cloning just windows without other software and files. There is no such thing as cloning and selecting a whole partition or disk and it not fully cloning it.

What size are all the hdds? Are the usb initialized?

USAFRet

Illustrious

What are you actually trying to do?
Clone the current drive in the laptop to a new drive that you obtained?
Or something else?

What are the drive sizes, types, and how much space is consumed on the current drive?

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
From one of the replies asking if the usbs have been initialised I do not know what this means but I have been keeping back up files on the 2 external drives and have accessed the sata drive to rescue files for the donor of the sata drive . All the usb drives are substantially larger than the disk I am trying to clone.

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
USAFRet asked what was I trying to do, I have a Sony laptop running on vista I have taken care of the laptop and can see no reason to change it but support for vista has ended and many new programmes will not run on it.I was hoping to update the OS to win 10 but wished to be able to reinstall vista if things did not work out.I am a bit resentful that my OS did not get the free upgrade so have seen that win10 will run without a license and have created a bootable usb flash drive with the win 10 image files on it downloaded from Microsoft.Having said that I may have a license as the satadrive had win8 on it and after running a programme called produkey it found a license that was titled Win 10.in essence I am trying to get win10 on my laptop whilst having a fallback to vista all on the cheap.

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK.

Don't create a "clone" on the USB drive. Instead create an "Image" of Vista. The entire drive encapsulated in a single file.
This will allow a fallback position, to go back to Vista if needed.

I much prefer Macrium Reflect, but I guess your AOMEI would work.

As for Win 10?
Completely unknown if you have a valid path to a Win 10 upgrade from your system.

Solution

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
Tried downloading the free version of macrium reflect but the instal file did not arrive ,there was a download log that you could inspect which said where the file was downloaded to but it’s not there.I contacted macrium and from their reply the free download would appear to be free only as an update to previously paid for releases as they said to input my product key.

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
Tried your link,it was the same page as I have already used, as I say the downloader did not supply the instal programme ? Do you think it’s because I’m on vista?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The Free version does support Vista, and does do actual cloning or imaging.
hjZ6i3b.png

The file you should be downloading is ReflectDLHF.exe.

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
Had another try at macrium and this time got the instal file but get an error message when I try to run it.I have a feeling my Macafee security is the problem so will try again.
Had a look at aomei it has the choice of “system image” or “disc image” the sata 0 shows two partitions one with the name recovery and the other the C: system image by the size of it just images C: whereas disc image does both partitions.Which would you recommend?
By the way thanks for your help much appreciated

USAFRet

Illustrious

I'm not familiar with the AOMEI application, but basically, you select ALL partitions on that drive and make an image of that on your selected target drive.

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
Thanks for all your help,gave me a few ideas, I have created a dual boot so I can see if Win 10 works whilst keeping Vista .It does work ok even without a key just looking for what the limitations might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.