closing the laptop lid leads to switching my secondary monitor to primary

geo1230

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013
hello everyone!

i have a hp laptop (hp pavillion dv5 1160ev) with Windows Vista Home Premium and i use a second monitor (lg tv) using a hdmi cable. for a long time i was fine. i used my tv as extended monitor to the right and when i wanted to watch a movie on it i just turn down the lid. of course, i had the "when the laptop lid is closed do" option to "do nothing" from the control panel and the second monitor (with extended monitor) kept being extended monitor and i was watching my movies perfect. suddenly that changed! now, whenever i close the laptop lid, the secondary monitor becomes primary and number 1. when i open laptop lid the laptop screen becomes primary again but the numbers don't (the second monitor is 1 and the primary 2). What can i do? I've searched all over and nothing useful came up. The most weird thing is that it came out of the blue! the only thing i can think it may has sth to do with it is a BSOD i got with windows drivers framework violation i got 99% from MotionInJoy. After that it happened. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

PS. Sorry if i am in the wrong section.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well, if you can remember a date when this problem started and you can find a restore point before that date in System Restore try going back to that point (personal files won't be affected but installed programs could be)

geo1230

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013

this happened today... some hours ago. what happened though and how can i undo it? is the restore the only option i've got? thanks for your time

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well it would be the simplest option. What did you do before this happened (before that BSOD you referenced)? If there's something you did you can try to reverse that's a possibility but honestly with wacky issues like this tracking down the exact cause in something as complicated as a modern OS would be a royal PITA.

That said, you might also attempt to uninstall and reinstall the video driver.

geo1230

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013
i think it's like the laptop screen is turning off and that's why it passes control over the external monitor. is there any way to change that? besides, i don't have any restore point to go back to. so that's not an option i guess.

geo1230

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2013
hello! i have somehow the same problem... almost. i have a second monitor as an extension to the right. So far, i could drag a movie in the second monitor, close the lid (which the laptop screen is my primary as i want it to be) and the second monitor could still be an extension. Suddenly, that changed, now whenever i close the lid my second monitor becomes primary (which is annoying). when i open the lid, it goes back to being an extension to the right but the identification numbers are upside down, meaning that the laptop screen became primary again but No. 2 and the second monitor became extension (as it was) but No. 1. I can't find what's wrong with that. The only thing i can think of is that i tried to force a game to open in fullscreen to the second monitor while having plugged ps3 controller (with MotionInJoy) and i got a BSOD. I think that after that it happened. I didn't take seriously the BSOD because i had it a couple of times with another game and with no second monitor. I uninstalled the game. I re-installed it today and to my surprise i saw that when i launched it, it started in fullscreen mode in my second monitor. somehow is like it remembered it even though i completely uninstalled it. i tried forcing it the same way to play im the laptop screen but nothing came from that. When i say force i mean that i changed it to windowed mode, dragged it to the other monitor, and then changed it back to fullscreen mode. When i first installed the game it worked (and probably messed my monitors), now that i tried to do the same but backwards hoping it will undo whatever happened, it just crashed. tried to open it again but it started in the second monitor as before. Sorry for the long post! Any ideas? I searched all over but nothing seems to help or being at least relevant to my case. Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post again!