CNET Accused of Bundling Software Downloads with Trojans

Status
Not open for further replies.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Well it remains to be seen how much is MS involved , but the "tool"bar is there for a while now , it has been annoying and this counterproductive for a while now . Many other sites practice this including Brothersoft and a few others. I am personaly against it i just find it vexing that it took people this long to do something about it.

PS: even the F#%^@ DirectX installer comes with a pre-aproved Bing tool bar. Google must be killing Bing , GOOD.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I HATE Cnet's new downloading tool.

It's STUPID.
I mean, at my college the internet is blocked for certain things, and they blocked Cnet because of that new download tool which was tricking people at the college into downloading and installing toolbars and PUP's on the workstations.

Cnet is a turn off now. For me anyway.. I almost never download from there.

G

I don't understand: "The bad news is that security companies McAfee, Panda, F-Secure and seven others have determined the executable to be malware. Eight went so far as to label it as an actual Trojan."

Given what the CNET wrapper includes that's not bad news, it's excellent news, and an indication that those companies are doing their job regardless of the source.

Hopefully NMap can win in court and prevent CNet from continuing to use their product as a lure for CNet Malware....

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I stopped downloading from CNET months ago. I am expecting CNET in the future to realize that they are NOT the only site in the Internet where you can download free or trial software. The question is are we going to care about CNET in the future? From experience I think not. I know that Idon't. Today!

G

Who uses CNET anyway? I don't remember I ever downloaded something clean from their site, my NOD32 always finds a problem.

gadiantian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hey Gordon "Fyodor" Lyon, thanks for caring enough about this to go to the mattresses for us and/or for your program. -Thanks

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Downloading anything from Adobe.com quickly can get you a McAfee Toolbar and downloading the Java installer gets you an Ask.com toolbar... makes me sick!"Tooljacking" is what I call it!

G

As an IT mgr. for a midsized business I've just completed sending this message below to CNET's website.
I encourage all in positions of influence within their businesses to prevent their users from accessing a deceptive business that will do anything to make a buck.

"After reading of your companies deceptive download practices and investigating these claims myself, I have determined CNET is no-longer a valid trustworthy company.
From this day on ALL traffic from my company to anything affiliated with CNET will be blocked. No exceptions. The public trust we had is now broken due to your marketing dept. and managements actions. The other parts of your business model are also blocked because a company willing to so easily deceive is capable of anything.
I've used my personal email account to notify you because of the obvious legal claims I'm making represent my opinion and not those of my company. Since I'm the head of IT the decision has been made, we are no-longer using any of your sites due to possible abuse. This is a permanent ban because only the free markets denial of patronage has any affect in these cases.

I hope you all find new/better jobs soon.

Thank You"

Status
Not open for further replies.