Combo jack - no sound from headphones nor headset

JohnRick

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
As per title:

Got a brand new ASUS Zenbook 501 to be used as a backup studio computer.
Of course it insists on having that horrendous combo jack, and main issue now is that when plugging in on of my regular monitor headphones (TRS, 3.5) there is no sound. Also trying the TRRS, 3.5 phone headset and the same thing.

All drivers installed and up to date. Sound just fine from regular speaker, and since the dialog box pops up as soon as I plug something in it should not be faulty (I believe). I also choose the correct option accordingly (headphones when plugging in headphones, headset when plugging in headset etc.).

Only thing missing is sound, which is sort of crucial in my case. So, should this POS be returned, or what do I have to do?

Funny thing is statement in below link saying:
" Thankfully, the combo audio jack (headset/headphones/microphone) carries a clean signal to headphones or external speakers. If you’re an audiophile or someone editing the audio for a YouTube video then you’ll want to connect a good set of headphones or quality external speakers to the UX501."

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/asus-zenbook-pro-ux501jw-review-forget-about-the-macbook-pro/

Solution
I know what you wrote, it was just a suggestion, another one if you want to try, reinstall the driver for the sound. If the problem is still there, the audio chip on the motherboard is faulty, return the laptop.

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Reason is because the 3.5mm plug on your headphones/speakers are just for audio and makes 3 connections inside plug, L+R+NEG, whereas a combo socket has 4 connections L+R+Mic+NEG. The two don't work together you need an adaptor on the cable to make it combo , like this one http://www.dhgate.com/product/50pcs-lot-3-5mm-1-male-to-2-female-adapter/154028912.html

JohnRick

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

Thanks, but that does not make sense for three reasons:

1) I have tried a combo plug in the combo jack, which did not render any audio whatsoever either (as written in previous post).

2) I have a simple Acer netbook that costs 5 times less, also with a combo jack, that works just fine when using standard TRS cables either to phones or out PA in rehearsal room.

3) That does not explain the dialog pop-up asking me what it was I just plugged in (headphones/speakers/headset). I should be able to plug in headphones, select that option and be fine. Else it would just have assumed I used TRSR instead of TRS.

Other suggestions?

JohnRick

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

Hello,

1) This is not a volume issue. It's on full blast and reacts to input. No output to either headphones - nor headset (where the latter does NOT have a mute button).

Again - pls refer to my previous post. I have no intention of using any form or headset or mic with this one. I just need a pure audio signal from the combo jack going to my headphones. Currently I get NO signal regardless of using headphones with regular TRS jack, or headset piece for iphone with TRSR (combo jack, which I tried to see if that was the issue).