Compaq XP Realtek Line-in to USB speakers problem

morphixnm

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
I have a Compaq computer with Windows XP and Realtek HD. Problem is that my Line-In plays through the Compaq built-in speaker but can't get it to play through desktop USB speakers. Also, the USB speakers will simultaneously play from things like youtube and the on-screen volume control makes them register volume changes all while the Compaq plays the audio from my line-in!

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... realtek software is great... did you go to control panel/Realtek icon? and try to configure input, output connectors, and levels. if you still have problems, uninstall the realtek software/drivers, and download/install the correct version for your motherboard and Windows version.

morphixnm

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I don't have a Realtek icon on control panels, just the "Sound, Speech and Audio Devices" control panel. within that panel there are some Realtek properties to configure, but nothing that lets me select line-in to USB speakers out.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... then you must not have a REALTEK chip in your Computer or you don't have the Realtek software installed then... Check "Programs and Features" in control panel... check your device manager and look at your "sound,video, game controllers" heading for your hardware.

morphixnm

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

This is what it lists there:
Sound, video and game controllers
Audio Codecs
Legacy audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtek High Definition Audio
USB Audio Device
Video Codecs

morphixnm

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

There is no "Programs and Features" control panel.but Realtek is definitely installed as "Realtek" options show up in the aduio control panel. I just removed teh previously installed Realtek and downloaded teh most recent drivers from Compaq and installed.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... change you output device in CONTROL PANEL/SOUND and change play back device to USB Speaker? and double click it for settings.

CONTROL PANEL/"Programs and Features"... will show installed software in your WINDOWS OS

morphixnm

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

That's where I have it set, but like I said, the Line-in plays out through the Compaq built-in speaker, even while the USB speakers can play from other sources at the same time, but not line-in to USB speakers.

morphixnm

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

No drivers, just plug n play like USB headphones. I may do what you recommend, but would really like to figure this out to make it work like it should.

It seems the problem is that I have nothing in control panels, Realtak or otherwise, that lets me set line-in as an audio source and whatever speakers I like as an output. There isn't even a way to configure anything with the built-in speaker even if you wanted to. Anyone here think this calls for getting into the bios and trying to configure things that way?