Comparing these two budget laptops so new laptop can approximate old one

nealth

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
My wife's old laptop is dead. She bought it 3 years ago. It was an Asus Vivobook x200CA with Intel® Celeron® 1007U Processor and 4 GB ram, running windows 8.1.

We're looking at the cheapest possible option to approximate the power and multitasking ability of that laptop (minimal as it was).

I've come up with this option (Inspiron 11 - 3162) from Dell, and from what I've been able to tell, it seems like the processors might match up, but uncertain how the 2GB RAM of the new will be able to compare with the 4GB RAM of the old. Hard to beat $109 if it could actually live up to her old laptop.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdWBapPtwbv%2bUbRiE%2bqAwpqvL7CQRKyWNGDdiQ3OafnLF%2fdLKrDMoSZJ4d1BjUxCJoDHUwghn%2b9TRlN6C9EWattEXGDcgukuxGrYGeBsdYXT0uIehk1SqEceViswIx5nvXwvFA1C%2fyQ0xPNy%2fJjZGNCM1s6a7hzWomUOIqnYMd6XRMfCsDAVbbbUlSdhbGdnYbQ%3d%3d

Any advice is appreciated, or other budget suggestions. Thanks!

Solution
Yes. I would say that the ram is the only difference. The ram will be quicker but I don't think that will make much difference. Personally I wouldn't buy a laptop that is £100 as that is too weak. I normally aim for £200. I have an acer chromebook which I use for normal purpose and it has been great. I don't use any office products though so you will need a windows machine if you do.

nealth

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017

So, does that mean that you figure the Vivobook is a more powerful laptop than the Inspiron 11? And/or that the RAM difference is the thing that sets them apart?

Yes. I would say that the ram is the only difference. The ram will be quicker but I don't think that will make much difference. Personally I wouldn't buy a laptop that is £100 as that is too weak. I normally aim for £200. I have an acer chromebook which I use for normal purpose and it has been great. I don't use any office products though so you will need a windows machine if you do.

Solution

nealth

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
I hear you about personal preference. It's just that her old laptop did everything she needed, so the goal has been to not go bigger/better but to try to approximate what we already know meets her needs and the requirements of the programs and multitasking she has done. I guess I'll look for something with the same RAM if you feel that the 2GB ram would hold the Inspiron 11 back from matching the Vivobook.