Computer LCD Monitor for Desktop and Verizon FIOS Television

aciaman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
I plan on getting a new monitor that I can use for both my computer and to connect to my Verizon FIOS box. Is it possible to do this and What would be the best way to add speakers for television? Since I'm using HDMI port for television would it negate the Red/White Audio ports if I wanted to hook them up to an old boom box? What other audio options do I have and what would be the best? Thanks

The Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
The Verizon Box:
http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/4033272a_user_guide_chs_335hdc.pdf

Solution
You CAN use other ports for audio.

For example, you have HDMI hooked up to your LED monitor and optical hooked up to a sound bar or Red/White hooked up to a stereo system.

aciaman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007

No only the Verizon box is hooked the LED Monitor. My Computer will be indepedent from the box. I am using DVI port for my computer and the HDMI port for Verizon T.V.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
If you are connecting the box to the monitor with HDMI then you just need to make sure that the monitor has speakers. Otherwise external speakers will need to be hooked in.

HDMI is a audio and video cable, so it's very convenient. You can hook up multiple audio devices to the set top box but only 1 audio and 1 video device can be used at a time.

Don't forget that your PC will still need audio as well. DVI won't carry an audio signal.

aciaman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007

So if I am using the HDMI on the Verizon Box >> LED Monitor HDMI. I can't use any other audio out puts such as the Red/White ports for a Stereo receiver? I was hoping to save myself from buying a separate TV.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
You CAN use other ports for audio.

For example, you have HDMI hooked up to your LED monitor and optical hooked up to a sound bar or Red/White hooked up to a stereo system.

Solution