Computer may have been 'hacked'

greg31

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Lately I've had some spare time and have started playing an old FPS multiplayer game every now and then. I randomly checked the games folder in my C drive today and there was a jpeg added to the games main folder 3 weeks ago titled 'noob'. The screenshot is of me playing in game. I never added or took a screenshot (let alone named one). The servers I play in are modded. For this jpeg to get into my game file, does this mean I was hacked? I only noticed the file today and it was added 3 weeks ago. Nothing notable has happened in the past 3 weeks on my computer, other than computer occasionally crashing and internet sometimes being very slow. I was thinking maybe an admin was able to add screenshots to someones game rather than me actually being 'hacked', however I'm not sure. I've scanned with 2 AV (including malwarebites) and nothing has came up. I'm quite confused how a named random screenshot/jpeg could be added to my games folder.

Was I hacked and should I be concerned?

Jugeum

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
It sounds like what my friends and I used to do to each other to screw with one another. Modded servers can have larger security risks while playing which is why you're not supposed to use them. It's also why games that require constant connection to the server are targeted a lot and require lots of security. Honestly, it sounds like someone is messing with you. I would ask your friends in that game, because if it was someone that was really trying to be mean/malicious, they would have done it by now. Another thing I know happens on some private WoW/ FF Online / ect servers is that servers can do screenshots at specific time intervals (like every 5 hours of gameplay). If that's a big concern for you, use a computer that doesn't have any personal information / don't use for credit cards or anything to connect to modded game servers, and keep your junk up to date... or don't do modded servers.

Hope this helps.

Could be also that you hit some key combination and unknowingly took your own picture. Sort of a "butt-dial" event.

Take a look at the game/system key combos and see if such a key combination exists. Could even be via your camera software.

Or maybe some bug or feature thought to have been abandoned or dropped. But the source software application was not properly re-coded....

Agree with Jugeum that you should keep youself protected with respect to the enviroment you play in. Yet take a another look at things just to see what you may find and perhaps be able to ease your mind some.

greg31

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for the response! The game allows modded servers because the developers released mod tools (I think). I don't play frequently at all so I think that was the first time I'd ever been in that server so I wouldn't say I have any friends there. I agree that if there was malicious intention, it would have already been done (as its been 3 weeks). I tend to think if someone did access my games folder, they did so through the open port and couldn't really explore much further.

greg31

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

I vaguely remember accidentally entering the games console and stumbling across the /screenshotjpeg command. It was awhile ago so I can't exactly remember but I may have tested the screenshot feature out of curiosity and gave it a title. There is a hotkey which takes screenshots, I would have assumed it was like a 'butt-dial' but the screenshot was titled 'noob', unnamed screenshots from a buttdial would just be a bunch of numbers (I've tested that). I'm hoping that I took the screenshot but forgot about it. Thankyou for your response :)