Computer numbers on dell inspiron laptop stop working

andrewhiatt

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
my numerical numbers on my dell inspiron 600m laptop are not working. They only way I can access the numbers is to press the Function, Fn, key and then pressing the corresponding number. I can't even use the shift+1 through shift+0 keys to access the any of the symbols. So it's really time consuming to do emails cause i have to copy and paste just to get the AT symbol in which all emails and many sites contain. Please help me exclamation mark exclamation mark exclamation mark.

for now plug in a cheap 7.00 full size keyboard. if all the keys work fine then the laptop keyboard went bad. if the laptop under warranty call dell they may send you a replacment keyboard if you think you can change it yourself. if not they will replace it and send the unit back if it under warranty. if it not..look on ebay or unline there two types of keyboards out there..the dell service part $$$ and there are oem replacments and oem clones...less money. to change most laptop keyboards..you pull the power and battery from the unit..flip the unit over and remove a set amount of keyboard screws...the keyboard will then fall out or you take the keyboard clip off. slide it left or right.once off the keyboard will fall out. hold your hand on it so that you dont rip the keyboard cables from the mb. the two keyboard cables will be helpo in by a small clip. lift the clip up on both sides..(it will not come out there made to move a little then stop). the cable will come straight out with 0 force. put the new keyboard in by putting the cables back in and clipping them down. then use the old tape from the old keyboard to tape the cables down. then put the keyboard back into the lapop so that it laying in right then put the keyboard clip back then the screws. then power up the laptop and check out that all the keys are working. if they are you can toss the old keyboard.

andrewhiatt

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
yea that is what i'm going to do is to hook up another keyboard for the time being. And i will try and locate one of the clones and attempt to replace it myself. Thank you for taking your time to respond to my submission and keep your fingers crossed in my attempt to fix the problem...Thanks again