Computer/ receiver speakers

Phishinforfloyd

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I have a Sony 5.1 surround sound receiver and im trying to connect my Motherboard (Crossblade ranger) witch supports up to 8 channel high definition audio. But what im trying to do is just utilize the front right, left, center and sub woofer. I have it connected from the Motherboard to the receiver via optical. I have the software set on 5.1 DTS and when that happens the center is predominate and the left and right barley work. They seem like they are the rear surround speakers.The volume is max is very low. Then ill switch it to 2 channel 16 bit 48000HZ and it sounds better. Pretty much i don't know anything about bit depth or sample rates. I went through most of the channels and messed around with the receiver to compensate for the db loss in the left, right and center. i just want all three to be close in volume range. Instead of the right and left working with out the center, or the center working with the left and right barley working.

Motherboard: Supreme FX 2014 ROG
It’s based on a Realtek ALC1150 controller with EMI cover and physical PCB separation for lower interference
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSBLADE_RANGER/

Receiver: Sony STR-K840p
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-k840p-av-receiver-5-1-channel/specs/

Windows: 8.1

Solution
Have you gone through the receiver set up to properly set the levels of the speakers. When you hear the pink noise come out of each speaker you set them so they all sound the same volume to you. This way the volume you hear from each speaker will match the audio mix of your source. You have to do this before getting into the PC settings.
Set the surround mode on the receiver to auto so it will detect and switch to the correct surround mode. Try Dolby Digital instead of DTS too
The bit number and sampling rate will only apply to 2 channel material. Try to set the audio to output the native rate of the file. You may not be able to do this in which case the windows mixer will upsample to your setting. Can't find specs on your...

ien2222

Distinguished
S/PDIF also supports DD(lossy) and DTS(lossy) 5.1, in this case the OP is using DTS Connect to realtime encode 5.1.

OP: What content are you playing that has this problem? Also, if you set your AVR channels all to +0dB (and also the computer), when you use the speaker test do they all play at the same level?

Have you gone through the receiver set up to properly set the levels of the speakers. When you hear the pink noise come out of each speaker you set them so they all sound the same volume to you. This way the volume you hear from each speaker will match the audio mix of your source. You have to do this before getting into the PC settings.
Set the surround mode on the receiver to auto so it will detect and switch to the correct surround mode. Try Dolby Digital instead of DTS too
The bit number and sampling rate will only apply to 2 channel material. Try to set the audio to output the native rate of the file. You may not be able to do this in which case the windows mixer will upsample to your setting. Can't find specs on your receiver but there is a test mode to see if your receiver can handle higher that 16-44.1.

Solution