Computer shuts off after 3 seconds

G

Hey guys,

So I have an ASUS A7M right now and the problem with it is that it wouldn't turn on anymore...I switched the power brick with an universal one and now it will turn on for 3 seconds...no post or anything and then turn off...so I opened it up and started taking it apart piece by piece....same thing till I took out the CPU and turned it on...now it stays on for as long as I want it. WHat could be the problem?

Oh and also what struck me as weird is that when I plug the power jack in...it starts automatically I don't have to press the power button...

What could be the issue??

thnanks much appreciated

Rob

rEd_SeCt0r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hi Rob,

Re-seat the processor.
Remove & re-seat ram chips.

Try removing battery & power supply & hold power button down for about 20 secs.
Then plug power supply in & power on.

Good luck,

Pete

G

i tried reseating the CPU tons of time...with the memory sticks taken OUT...as soon as the CPOU is seated I turn it on and it shuts off after 3 seconds when it's off it stays on indefinitely...also the battery is removed and what to you mean power supply...also atm i'm not using the power button as I said as soon as i plug the chord in it turns on automatically without me pressing the power button

it's strange

rEd_SeCt0r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
When the battery is removed, make sure the cord (power supply) is not plugged in either.
So, there is NO power to the laptop whatsoever.

Then hold the power button down for 20 secs.
Then plug the cord back in & see what happens.

G

could the mobo be somehow fried or is it the ram or what's up
also as i said i'm using a new power brick that puts out the right voltage but 0.24 less amps
would that be an issue

G

i haven't put the battery in since i took the lappy apart now it's in pieces and as I said the button makes no difference since as soon as i plug the cord in the lappy turns on without me even touching the power button...and i think i tried the 30 second button hold thing because iknow it worked on a diff laptop I had

rEd_SeCt0r

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
It is possible the power supply is not providing enough amps to power it.

I would try another power supply, or take to a friends or shop to see if it powers with their supply.

It could also be the processor, but I would point my finger at the power supply.

G

is there a sheet anywhere where I can find different amperages for different components? I was completely sure that it was the CPU but when I looked at the amperage I started to think otherwise...but would a 0.2 difference in amperage matter that much

G

also what could cause the automatic turn-on...as I said when i plug the cord in it turns on without me pressing the button

janisve

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I had this problem on Asus a7m and it turned out it was a CPU issue - ordering used one from eBay and replacing solved the issue.

I just don't remember whether it was turning off after, as you say, 3 seconds or it was close to 10 seconds. But the laptop was turning off after those seconds.