Computer unresponsive while videos play

Mar 4, 2018
Hi. My computer is about 4 years old and just recently started doing this. When I go to youtube, the computer is completely unresponsive while a video plays. The mouse doesn't work, keyboard doesn't work, etc. Once the video stops, the computer returns to normal. I usually use Edge, but the same thing is happening with Chrome and Firefox. I went to Adobe flash's website, and it says flash is built into Edge. It's currently enabled in Edge.

I honestly don't recall updating any drivers, etc recently. I use McAfee Total Protection. Ran a full scan and found no issues.

I just opened Task Manager and had it open when I refreshed YouTube to see the ad run again. CPU stayed at 3% and memory hovered around 40%. The numbers changed while I was 'frozen' so task manager continued to work. But I could not alt tab to it or move the mouse.

Edit: I updated my display driver on my video card. No change. I disabled hardware acceleration within flash. No change.

Solution
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions with this. I believe I have it working now.

I restored back to about 3 weeks ago but that did not resolve the problem. I then restored back another 2 weeks to a windows upgrade restore point. Well, Windows wouldn't load after that restore so I had to reinstall Windows. I lost all my programs but my files were kept. Again, that didn't resolve the problem.

I was worried that I had a really invasive virus so I bought a new external drive as I didn't want to plug my current one in. While waiting for that to arrive I reinstalled Mcafee and found no viruses. I then ran Norton Power Eraser but again found no issues.

The external drive arrived last night. I wanted to back up all my files...

k1114

Distinguished
A 4 year old pc is hardly old and just because it's old doesn't mean it just freezes for no reason. My 12 year old pc gets daily use still and never has issues.

Check temps. When is the last time you reinstalled windows? Was there any changes/installs recently?

Mar 4, 2018

Hi honluke. I appreciate the help. It would be crazy that it's fine but a few days later, this starts happening. As an FYI, I tried to just run a mp4 file, same result.

Name Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
Name AMD High Definition Audio Device
Name [00000000] Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
Processor AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Not sure how best to give you my specs. I went to system and its has a lot of stuff in it. Is there anything specific that I did not list that would help?

I checked add/remove programs and can see that Windows updated a lot of stuff a few days ago.

Mar 4, 2018

It's been a while since I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. But I do see in add/remove programs that some windows items such as mail and calendar, maps, alarm and clock, paint 3d, photos, voice recorder, news all updated a few days ago. I see Edge updated about 10 days ago. Lastly, my Mcafee shows it updated yesterday, but I think this started before yesterday.

Try Resource Monitor and perhaps even Performance Monitor to further identify the bottleneck and possible cause.

In addition, my thought (per @robert600) would be to indeed open up the case (power off) and reseat all cards, chips, RAM, cables, jumpers, etc..

Components do wiggle and work their way loose over time - just enough and at some threshold problems begin.

And clean per @honluke0's suggestion.

Mar 4, 2018
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions with this. I believe I have it working now.

I restored back to about 3 weeks ago but that did not resolve the problem. I then restored back another 2 weeks to a windows upgrade restore point. Well, Windows wouldn't load after that restore so I had to reinstall Windows. I lost all my programs but my files were kept. Again, that didn't resolve the problem.

I was worried that I had a really invasive virus so I bought a new external drive as I didn't want to plug my current one in. While waiting for that to arrive I reinstalled Mcafee and found no viruses. I then ran Norton Power Eraser but again found no issues.

The external drive arrived last night. I wanted to back up all my files before I started reseating everything. As I was plugging the external drive into an open OSB port, I decided to move my mouse to a new OSB port. Bingo. That fixed the issue.

So I guess I have an issue with my board. Hopefully it doesn't spread to other OSB ports.

Again, thanks all for all the suggestions. Crazy it was just trying a different OSB port, but at this point, I will take it!

Solution