Confused with my receiver and speakers

karthikeyanj

Estimable
May 22, 2014
Hi all
Pls help me to find out right speakers for my 5.1 Pioneer vsx rs 320 k receiver.

It says,
Audio section
FTC power output. . . 65 W + 65 W(STEREO, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.2 %)
Rated power output (Front, Center, Surround). . . 125 W per channel (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 1 %)
Maximum power output (Front, Center, Surround). . .150 W per channel (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 10 %)
Total Harmonic Distortion. . . . . 0.06 % (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 85 W/ch)
Guaranteed speaker impedance. . 6 Ω to 16 ΩInput (Sensitivity/Impedance)LINE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 200 mV/47

With the above mentioned audio specs what specs speakers are right fit to my receiver.

My room is a small one.
10 feet length and 7 feet breadth. I need to setup the speakers here.

I found one speaker with 125 w per channel with 8 ohms. Is that would suit my receiver and produce effect result?

Please share me the right speakers specifications that I should go for my receiver with above mentioned details.

I'm totally confused with rated power output and maximum power output and also the ohms.

Should I need to buy higher watts speakers than the receiver have or lesser than that.?

Solution
The way the power is presented in the owners manual is deceptive.
The only reliable rating given is that in stereo the two front channels are 65 watts into 8 ohms. I would assume that would be the same for all 5 channels.
6ohms would be the lowest impedance I would buy for that receiver.
Your room is small so just about any 6-8 ohm speaker will be fine. It's OK if the max power the speaker can handle is more than 65 watts but the minimum suggested power should be lower than 65 watts.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Theoretically, you should only use 8 Ohm (or higher) speakers, if the amp says 8 ohm minimum, respectively for 6 ohm.
In the theory, connecting 4 Ohm speakers to amplifier for 8 Ohm spearkers, could cause issues.
However, in my whole life, I have never seen a problem or even a broken amplifier/speaker if I plug 4 Ohm speakers to an 8 Ohm specified amplifier/receiver.

You should buy ideally 100-150W speakers but since the room is not that big, thus you won't max the volume, 40-100W should be already enough.

The way the power is presented in the owners manual is deceptive.
The only reliable rating given is that in stereo the two front channels are 65 watts into 8 ohms. I would assume that would be the same for all 5 channels.
6ohms would be the lowest impedance I would buy for that receiver.
Your room is small so just about any 6-8 ohm speaker will be fine. It's OK if the max power the speaker can handle is more than 65 watts but the minimum suggested power should be lower than 65 watts.

Solution