Solved! Connect 144hz monitor per docking station to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020
So I'm thinking of getting a 144hz monitor for my laptop setup. Unfortunately my laptop does not have a display port input, which i believe is required to fully benefit from the high refresh rates of the monitor. So my question is, can i use the 144hz feature of the monitor, if i connect it to my laptop through display port cable to docking station and the docking station per usb-c thunderbolt 3.0 to my laptop. My current monitor which is a normal 60hz one is working perfectly fine, just wanted to make sure if i can use the high refresh rate feature through the docking station.

Solution
Apologies, with that laptop it may actually work. Most laptops are just not made for it, but depending on the exact specs of yours it might. It will also depend on how you plan on connecting that external monitor. Some connections are much more limiting.

I would suggest you take your exact model info and go to the manufacturer's site. It should then let you know for certain if your device can in deed use that external monitor at the higher rate.
You didn't mention if your laptop is actually capable of even using/working with such a monitor. However, consider what you have said, I doubt it would work the way you want. It won't get you the full Hz. If it works at all, it would be at a much lower setting.

Adding a docking station wouldn't up what the laptop is capable of doing. You would have to actually have a laptop that is capable of working with it to make it work.

Now if you wanted to use an external monitor, but at a lower Hz, then that would work.

Feb 16, 2020
You didn't mention if your laptop is actually capable of even using/working with such a monitor. However, consider what you have said, I doubt it would work the way you want. It won't get you the full Hz. If it works at all, it would be at a much lower setting.

Adding a docking station wouldn't up what the laptop is capable of doing. You would have to actually have a laptop that is capable of working with it to make it work.

Now if you wanted to use an external monitor, but at a lower Hz, then that would work.
Its a asus zenbook pro 15, dont know if that helps. So what could be an option to connect a high refresh rate monitor to such a laptop? thanks for the answer. (y)

Apologies, with that laptop it may actually work. Most laptops are just not made for it, but depending on the exact specs of yours it might. It will also depend on how you plan on connecting that external monitor. Some connections are much more limiting.

I would suggest you take your exact model info and go to the manufacturer's site. It should then let you know for certain if your device can in deed use that external monitor at the higher rate.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.