Connect analog 5.1 speakers to laptop without TV or receiver?

forestguide

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
How can I connect analog 5.1 speaker system (Monoprice Select 13773) to my laptop (XPS 13, the 2015 model) WITHOUT tv or receiver? There are similar questions and answers suggesting this or that connector, but none of them are definitive or clear. I prefer to buy a connector that costs less than 50 bucks and deal with it. And yes, naturally, I want to get true 5.1, not parallel channels in different speakers :) I have been checking around the net for a while and I really do need guidance. Thanks!

Solution
HDMI is probably your best interface. Laptops are usually pretty sparse with audio output options. There are several options for stereo, even bluetooth, but for surround you really need a home theater receiver. You need something that can accept the limited output choices you have with a laptop (HDMI) pull the audio out, decode it, and amplify it to 5 speakers. That is kind of the definition of a home theater receiver....

forestguide

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Ok, assume I am totally an idiot, what is the cheapest way to connect an analog 5.1 speaker system to a laptop that supports hdmi out, etc.? What exactly would I need?

kanewolf

Judicious
HDMI is probably your best interface. Laptops are usually pretty sparse with audio output options. There are several options for stereo, even bluetooth, but for surround you really need a home theater receiver. You need something that can accept the limited output choices you have with a laptop (HDMI) pull the audio out, decode it, and amplify it to 5 speakers. That is kind of the definition of a home theater receiver....

Solution