connect room tv to speakers in ceiling

michbarr

Prominent
May 2, 2017
I have 3 rooms. each room has a smart TV and speakers in the ceiling. The speakers wire back to a central location. The central location has cat5, coax (cable tv), and the speaker wires. I want to be able to keep one remote in each of the 3 rooms to control the audio and video for that room. Would like to select a video source for the TV and the audio play through the ceiling speakers. Also would like to use same remote and select a different audio source like a streaming channel to play audio in that room. I've heard about Control4 boxes being able to do some of this but figure I need some kind of amplifier centrally located to drive the audio back to each ceiling speaker. Looking for some answers for wiring and hardware to accomplish this home AV automation

You don't need a complex home automation set up for such a simple system.
If each cable box has a variable analog audio output then you connect each one to 2 amp channels that drive the correct speakers for that room. The amps should have audio sensing so they come on when an audio signal is present. You can use 3 stereo amps or a single 6 channel amp.
You don't mention HDMI in the central location going to each TV? Was the plan to use HDMI over Cat5?. Usually you need 5e or better 6 for that. Get adapters that also send IR over the cable and you have way to control the system with a standard cable box remote.
If the cable box only has HDMI output then it becomes a bit more involved. You would need to use an HDMI audio extractor and amps with their own volume controls.

michbarr

Prominent
May 2, 2017

michbarr

Prominent
May 2, 2017
thank you very much for you insight. I had thought about pulling HDMI but will pull cat5e instead. we use cox mini boxes and will have to look to see what is there for outputs. I wanted the cat5 so I could stream at high speed. wifi has always been a problem streaming for me so figure ethernet will fix that. I saw a demo of a control4 solution which had a nice remote we could use at each room to control audio and video sources to that room. was thinking maybe I could do a Harmony Elite but those are not low cost either. Do you have any suggestions on the audio amplifier and a remote we could use to accomplish what control4 does?? Thanks