Connect USB WIFI adapter antenna to laptop internal antenna

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Hello,
because of the failure of my laptop's internal wifi, I want to connect WIFI USB adapter with antenna output to internal antenna in the laptop.

This should be RP SMA Plug to something smaller male connector, as on the attached pictures. I don't know exactly the name of this smaller connector so I'm unable to find it.

I should need this:

Any ideas?

Solution
yes ibm/lenovo do use whitelists for wifi cards

and yes its possible to use a bootable linux disc to allow adding any wifi card depending on the laptop model

what i dont get is if you put the usb wifi inside the laptop how you going to power it?

and if its inside the laptop just soldering it to the laptop antenna would be the easiest solution

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

It is not precise enough, searching with that gives various types of cable connectors

Instead of buying cables, why would you not just buy a new laptop wifi card.
A really good one (Intel 7260) is only $25 USD.

You are not really going to find what you are looking for because they dont make u-fl cables with male ends, only the female end.
You would essentially need to buy a u-fl to RP-SMA cable, a RP-SMA female female adapter and then remove/desolder the end off of your wifi card and then cut off the u-fl female end off the cable and solder on the piece you removed from your motherboard. As well as need to use heat shrink tubing or some other means of preventing short inside laptop.

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
It is this cable what I need:

https://www.data-alliance.net/u-fl-male-to-rp-sma-male-right-angle-or-straight-cable-1-inch-2-in-3-inch/

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pce-RP-SMA-male-jack-to-IPX-U-fl-male-plug-center-RF-adapter-connector-nickel-/321179619028?epid=1755216601&hash=item4ac7cc0ed4:g:FuQAAOxyGstR~3sB

Solutions of replacing internal WIFI laptop card are useless, because Lenovo locks internal ports and in most times, when the card is replaced it is not recognized by the system (I've already purchased another WIFI card). Solution of this is to jailbreak the laptop's BIOS which I couldn't do.

Instead of that, I'm going to put USB WIFI inside the laptop and to connect it with the laptop's WIFI antenna (because of the range).

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
yes ibm/lenovo do use whitelists for wifi cards

and yes its possible to use a bootable linux disc to allow adding any wifi card depending on the laptop model

what i dont get is if you put the usb wifi inside the laptop how you going to power it?

and if its inside the laptop just soldering it to the laptop antenna would be the easiest solution

Solution
Yes that cable will do what you want.
A big caveat is that you will need to cut a hole in the side of your laptop AND have room for that FAT RP-SMA connector.
Not to mention that you will be degrading your 2 antenna setup down to 1 antenna, and to a 150mbps N connection.

As I and others have stated, the much much better option is to just buy a new wifi card.

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

I have Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter. One port will I solder directly to the USB WIFI card and put it inside.
This mumbo-jumbo with Linux doesn't work regarding unlocking whitelisted cards.

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

Cut a hole, why? No holes cutting. I'm going to pass cables from USB Expresscard adapter.
I'm not aware of degrading wifi performance - those two antennas serve WIFI and Bluetooth respective (I don't need Bluetooth and never had).

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

its not mumbo jumbo

have done it plenty of times

but you obviously know best so carry on with your much more complicated solution its no loss to me

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

Well I have lost enough time searching for the solution for whitelisted + locked BIOS.
I'm going to dump whole thing and solve problem in 10 mins with this adapter.