Connecting 1 HTPC to 3 x 4k/60Hz TVs

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I'm looking to build an HTPC which can be connected to 3 TV's, one of which is 4k/60Hz (the others will be some day).

I want to be able to easily pick which TV I'm outputting to without going to the HTPC every time. I don't want a wireless/streaming solution.

Without fully knowing what's possible, I'm starting with 3 options:

1. A switch. Is there one that supports HDMI 2.0 with a remote option (a phone app would be cool!)?

2. A splitter. I wouldn't need a remote with this option, but would the signal get too weak if I split it 3 ways? I think the cable lengths will be 50', 50', & 10'.

3. 3 cables connected directly to the video card? One cable directly to the HDMI 2.0 Port, then two into DisplayPort 1.2's with an HDMI 2.0 adapter?

Thanks

Solution
Since one of your TVs is 4k that one will need it's own HDMI 2.0 out (set to 4k) from the PC. The others can be connected to a second HDMI output (set for 1080p) through a distribution amplifier (1 in 2out). Since you have two long HDMI runs these will be affected by that distribution amp and the HDMI cables you use. It's not so much that the quality will be affected as that you might have issues getting the equipment to handshake correctly so may not get a picture at all.
Alternatively you could use 3 HDMI outputs from the PC (at least one HDMI 2.0.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
1) HDMI 2.0's brand new. AMD Polaris has been announced, NVIDIA Pascal was released only to their Drive PX2. So there isn't any cables or hubs for it.
2) Splitters would make sense, but you'll have to buy additional hardware.
3) That would work fine.

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, you don't need special cables for HDMI 2.0. Also, GTX 950's and up already have HDMI 2.0 connectors.

If all 3 options would work, I guess it comes down to cost.

With options 1 & 2, I could get the cheapest Skylake CPU and use onboard graphics.

With option 3, there's no motherboards with 3 video outputs capable of 4k/60Hz that I'm aware of, so I'd have to get a GTX 950.

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

The ports on that VisionTek card are HDMI 1.4, so it can't do 4k @ 60Hz.

Hopefully I don't need an amplifier if I'm splitting the signal.... not sure I am yet, but I'm not splitting it that many times, or going that distance!

Since one of your TVs is 4k that one will need it's own HDMI 2.0 out (set to 4k) from the PC. The others can be connected to a second HDMI output (set for 1080p) through a distribution amplifier (1 in 2out). Since you have two long HDMI runs these will be affected by that distribution amp and the HDMI cables you use. It's not so much that the quality will be affected as that you might have issues getting the equipment to handshake correctly so may not get a picture at all.
Alternatively you could use 3 HDMI outputs from the PC (at least one HDMI 2.0.

Solution