Connecting 5.1 Audio System + Receiver to Desktop PC

Ficklestein

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm not really good at this stuff, sorry in advance.

I have tried using a Y-adaptor RCA cable as an aux from the receiver to my PC, but all I got was a stereo of sorts, not actual 5.1. The small side speakers had little to no sound in them, the center and sub were considered the same thing (same sound coming out).

I tried the Realtek HD Audio Manager5.1 test and had the side and sub speakers making absolutely no sound when clicked on in the interface. But, when I clicked on the center speaker icon, the sub and the center speakers were making a sound. I assume it's because the Aux cord makes it out to be a 2.1 setup of sorts instead of 5.1? It's just not working out properly, not being detected, etc.

Here's some pictures of the jacks and whatnot from the receiver and motherboard.

Motherboard:
AWjBvuh.jpg

The aux cable is going directly from the receiver to the PC.

Receiver to PC:
z7L2IqR.jpg

Receiver to speakers:
5P0xcai.jpg

So my question is this, how do you make it so that 5.1 surround works? Do I need any additional cables? Would an HDMI from the graphics card to the receiver work? I've seen pictures of cables plugged into the orange and black plugs in the motherboard or soundcards, do I need those?

Solution
Yep ... that's the one for sure. Is 6' long enough for your needs? Your pics are great - wish more people would do this - makes helping so much easier.

Ok - you got lucky with both connectors being the same - when they're different a converter is needed and it all becomes a pain and adds expense.

Now ... those optical connectors are a little weird but when you get the cable you'll see the end is kinda u shaped so it will only go in in one orientation - the little plastic door kinda pushes in and ... well everything seems kinda wobbly but ... these cables do carry a very clean signal.

Spdif does carry 5.1 (not 7.1) so you will be pleased with the result for sure! Just connect up the cable - adjust the pc sound setting to spdif out and...
Depends WHERE do you want the Dolby decoding to occur.

If you want the PC to do the decoding, basically you hook up the L+R,C+SUB,Rears to your receiver, ASSUMING your receiver has 6 channels discrete analog inputs. Most receivers don't. Your close-up pic doesn't show any.

If you want the Receiver to do the decoding, then the connection between PC and Receiver MUST be DIGITAL. I see a digital input on the receiver and none on the back of the PC, maybe it's obscured.

Ficklestein

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

I guess it really doesn't matter to me where anything occurs as long as it works.

Also, I do have an SPDIF Out on the back of my motherboard. What would that mean? Do I need a digital connector and it should work out just fine?

robert600

Distinguished
oh and also ... there are two different types of spdif connections (I know - how annoying is that!!!?). Your photo clearly shows that the receiver accepts the optical sort. Does the spdif connector on your motherboard have an optical connector as well or does it look more like say ... the video connector at the back of your receiver (but perhaps orange rather than yellow)?

Ficklestein

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hey, sorry about the confusion. I'm confused myself about this audio stuff too :p Trying to add as many pics/info as possible to find a solution.

Here's the picture of the SPDIF port in the back of the PC:

F7kTkRy.jpg

The receiver has a port (pictured) that said "Digital audio" and the PC has a port that says "SPDIF Out" (above).

They both, as far as I can see, look the same.

Would, for instance, this cable work?
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B00NH11H38

Thanks!

robert600

Distinguished
Yep ... that's the one for sure. Is 6' long enough for your needs? Your pics are great - wish more people would do this - makes helping so much easier.

Ok - you got lucky with both connectors being the same - when they're different a converter is needed and it all becomes a pain and adds expense.

Now ... those optical connectors are a little weird but when you get the cable you'll see the end is kinda u shaped so it will only go in in one orientation - the little plastic door kinda pushes in and ... well everything seems kinda wobbly but ... these cables do carry a very clean signal.

Spdif does carry 5.1 (not 7.1) so you will be pleased with the result for sure! Just connect up the cable - adjust the pc sound setting to spdif out and the receiver's setting to digital in .... crank up the volume and enjoy!!!

Solution