Solved! Connecting active bookshelf speaker to active subwoofer

Nas Gul

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
so i just bought 2.0 active bookshelf speaker (edifier r1000t4) for replacing my old 2.1 speakers.

i want to use the old subwoofer from my old 2.1, the sub has aux input and left right output.
and the 2.0 speakers has left right input. both are powered (the sub and speaker)

is it right to plug both the sub and the speakers to the wall, then plugging the aux from my pc to the sub aux input, then plugging from the sub left right output to the left right input on the 2.0 speakers?

the problem is the sub doesn't have bass volume knob, but luckly the speaker has it own volume control, so i can adjust the bass volume by adjusting source volume from the pc, and then adjusting 2.0 volume relative to the bass volume. so i have to "eye ball" to find the balance between the bass and the speaker, if the bass is too loud i decrease the volume on the pc then increase the volume on the speaker, and vice versa.

i'm new to this sort of thing, please correct me if i do it wrong or if you have better way to do it

thank you.

Solution
There are too many IFs for this question.

If your PC has a sub out, I would use that, let PC do the crossover.

Assuming PC has no sub out and only L+R, ideally your old sub has crossover in it (looking for crossover knob on sub), then send full range audio to sub, then sub in turn extracts the lows for itself and send the rest of it (line level signal) out to your new L+R.

If there isn't a crossover knob on the sub, this is ugly, all speakers will get full range signal. At this point I personally don't want to deal with this situation.
There are too many IFs for this question.

If your PC has a sub out, I would use that, let PC do the crossover.

Assuming PC has no sub out and only L+R, ideally your old sub has crossover in it (looking for crossover knob on sub), then send full range audio to sub, then sub in turn extracts the lows for itself and send the rest of it (line level signal) out to your new L+R.

If there isn't a crossover knob on the sub, this is ugly, all speakers will get full range signal. At this point I personally don't want to deal with this situation.

Solution

Nas Gul

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Yeah the sub doesn't have any knob, only left-right rca output. i noticed the sound feels wrong, so i ended up not using the sub. Does rca y splitter will do the trick? Or do i need dac/amp/receiver/pci-e soundcard?

Already explained this and another member said the same thing. Need a proper setup to make it sound right. A simple splitter will make it sound weird.

If u don't understand any of this, and no more $$ to do it properly, ur stuck with stereo for now.