Connecting an A/B Zone amp to a multi Room Speaker Switch

brianroyal

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I just moved into a home that was wired with a multi-room speaker system. All the speakers are wired with 4 wires. R+ R- L+ L-
All the multi room switches, with or without volume control, have the required 4 wire out for the speakers, but they also all have 4 wire input from the amp. Most modern receivers have a zone 2 output that has 4 wire outputs. My old Denon receiver only has the A/B zones with 2 wire outputs. I have searched the web and have not been able to correctly identify how to connect my receiver to a multi room switch.

I was thinking the following:
Reciever -> Multi room switch -> Speakers

Thx in advance.

Solution
You are confusing outputs and inputs.
The speaker selector has one stereo input for the left and right speaker outputs of your receiver.
It has 4 or more sets of speaker output connections for the left and speakers in each room.
You connect it with speaker wire.

brianroyal

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

I am familiar with this concept, however, my original question states, "How would I connect my amp which only has a red and black output to a multi room selector since the multi room selector has 4 inputs and my amp only has 2 outputs."

Nov 18, 2018
Hi americanaudiophile,

I have a similar question... I ordered a Denon AVR-S640H and I plan to connect to a speaker switcher.
Where to connect the 4 wires (red, black, white, green) from the speaker selector to the Denon AVR-S640H receiver?

Thanks!