Connecting an Audio receiver through my graphics card and only get surround on certain files

CronicNeurotic

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi,

I have a Denon AVR 1911 AV receiver and have my computer connected to it through the HDMI from my computers graphic card Nvidia Geforce GTX670 and I am running Windows 7.

When I play .MKV files on VLC I get the option for Dolby Pro logic II and it works pretty flawlessly but when I try any other files or browsers on youtube it just stays on Multi Channel in 7.1 and plays everything in stereo. I have tried modifying the command line of chrome with every iteration and it makes no difference. Does anybody have any idea what could be the issue or if I should be trying to use a different type of connection. (I also use a projector and having this run through the HDMI to the receiver works perfectly so I don't won't really work in another setup unless I can do video only through HDMI) It seems the speakers set up is fine and all the connections are fine so it appears to be a software issue but I am stumped. This is my first dive into any kind of audiophile territory so i am hoping one of you knows what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.

CronicNeurotic

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

That can't be true because Dolby Pro logic II upscales to 7.1 from a stereo source.

CronicNeurotic

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
So I changed the surround mode on the receiver when playing an MKV file for the first time and to my surprise I got Dolby Pro logic II Cinema straight away but when playing anything else I just get the stereo surround option. I also tried setting the speakers to 2 speakers in sound properties instead of 7.1 and when I did this it gives me the option for Dolby Pro Logic II on the receiver however the youtube audio surround test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TdLTe_yckY only uses the center, left and right speakers whereas a friend of mine gets 5.1.

Also with the properties set to stereo instead of 7.1 and playing Skyrim I only get stereo whereas when I have it set to 7.1 I get 5.1 surround sound. Also I have the game Warthunder which has the option for 7.1 Surround on the launcher and works correctly when configured in audio properties as 7.1.