Connecting an Audio receiver through my graphics card and only get surround on certain files

CronicNeurotic

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi,

I have a Denon AVR 1911 AV receiver and have my computer connected to it through the HDMI from my computers graphic card Nvidia Geforce GTX670 and I am running Windows 7.

When I play .MKV files on VLC I get the option for Dolby Pro logic II and it works pretty flawlessly but when I try any other files or browsers on youtube it just stays on Multi Channel in 7.1 and plays everything in stereo. I have tried modifying the command line of chrome with every iteration and it makes no difference. Does anybody have any idea what could be the issue or if I should be trying to use a different type of connection. (I also use a projector and having this run through the HDMI to the receiver works perfectly so I don't won't really work in another setup unless I can do video only through HDMI) It seems the speakers set up is fine and all the connections are fine so it appears to be a software issue but I am stumped. This is my first dive into any kind of audiophile territory so i am hoping one of you knows what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.

CronicNeurotic

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

That can't be true because Dolby Pro logic II upscales to 7.1 from a stereo source.

CronicNeurotic

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
So I changed the surround mode on the receiver when playing an MKV file for the first time and to my surprise I got Dolby Pro logic II Cinema straight away but when playing anything else I just get the stereo surround option. I also tried setting the speakers to 2 speakers in sound properties instead of 7.1 and when I did this it gives me the option for Dolby Pro Logic II on the receiver however the youtube audio surround test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TdLTe_yckY only uses the center, left and right speakers whereas a friend of mine gets 5.1.

Also with the properties set to stereo instead of 7.1 and playing Skyrim I only get stereo whereas when I have it set to 7.1 I get 5.1 surround sound. Also I have the game Warthunder which has the option for 7.1 Surround on the launcher and works correctly when configured in audio properties as 7.1.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Audio 1
D Audio 4
M Audio 2
M Audio 3
B Audio 3
V Audio 6
C Audio 5
C Audio 7
D Audio 1
W Audio 3
F Audio 2