Connecting bluray orange digital out to 3.5mm powered speakers

interestor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Yes, I have a new Blu-ray player with only the orange digital audio output. I want to connect a set of powered computer speakers (with subwoofer) that have a 3.5mm connector.

What is the simplest way to do this?
Is digital to analog conversion required?
Can I use my old RF modulator for that?
What would happen if I use this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=134172&Q=&is=REG&A=details) simple RCA to 3.5mm converter?

Thank you wise ones.

the orange output is coaxial spdif which is a digital signal. 3.5mm is analog.

you will need a DAC (digital to analog converter).

spdif on one side and rca red+white on the other and then just get a rca r+w to 3.5mm cable. or perhaps you can get lucky and find one with 3.5mm output already.

interestor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Thank you,
I was hoping to get away with using that small adapter and the amp in the speakers converting the digital signal to analog. I guess not, eh?

I surely don't want to buy a $60 converter just to play music discs from my $40 player.

I was hoping to use the old RF modulator I have, but rigging up two custom cables would be too costly.

Upon further research, I find I can get a $20 converter if I don't need surround sound. I will have to fiddle with the player's configuration to force its audio output to be 2 channel PCM. Then I have to watch out for the super cheap model that only goes to 96kHz, I need to get the box that goes to 192kHz. Should work, I hope.

the problem is that your speakers will not even recognize the output from the orange spdif coax

for clarification that is the big orange on on the left in this photo
C3_imagevif.jpg

since it is digital. computer speakers expect and require analog.

you can get spdif to rca adapters fairly cheap (well for shoddy low end budget models) such as this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Toslink-or-SPDIF-Coax-to-Analog-L-R-RCA-Audio-Converter-Adapters-/301015113639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4615e61fa7

no, i dont know why they made the spdif coax black (its supposed to be orange).

its likely low end but its cheap (you can find other similar products for a bit more and hopefully better quality).

a converter like that is likely your best bet though considering the limited connections you have.

interestor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Yah, that is the type of box I need to seek. But that is the one that is too cheap, it only does up to 96khz. I can see that, for about this price, the white ones, which go to 192khz, can be found.