Connecting Epson 3100 projector to Sony E3100 home theater system - no sound

Mike5387

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I believe i sent this to the incorrect forum.

Connecting my new Epson 3100 projector to my new Sony E3100 HTS - no sound

I confirmed that there is audio coming out of the projector 3.5mm audio output (used another speaker) then plugged audio cable(split - single 3.5 on one end and two plugs - red and white- on the other) into red and white ports on the back of the Sony 3100. No sound. Note: system works when I run installed blueray player because it is all HDMI sony to projector. The problem is when I use another video device to the projector as input (PC,VHS,etc) the sound does not come out of the Sony system. (again, I confirmed that audio was coming out of the projector 3.5mm port) I am sure I have not selected something properly on the Sony 3100 menu and that is the site please issue, however, in spite of studying the user manual I apparently not bright enough to figure it out. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Solution
Sorry. I misread the specs on the HTS.
If the projector is sending out audio then you should be able to use the analog input on the HTS for sound If you select that as the input on the HTS, It won't get you digital surround sound so using an HDMI input selector with audio extraction to provide an optical audio output will be better.
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5557&kpid=105557&gclid=CPPY2sLnwcYCFYIXHwodhY0FTw
Sources connect to the selector inputs with HDMI.
Selector HDMI out to projector and selector optical audio out to HTS.
Set selector for 5.1 output.

kanewolf

Judicious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Mike5387 : "Epson 3100 projector Sony 3100 home theater system no sound"

Using the analog output of the projector will not give you the best sound even if you do get it working. You won't get digital surround sound.
I would connect all my HDMI sources to an HDMI input selector. Connect the selectors' output to the HDMI input of the HTS. The HTS HDMI out goes to the projector.
For your VHS you would connect it's video out directly to the projector composite video input. Connect the audio outputs to the aux input on the HTS.

Mike5387

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

americanaudiophile,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The solution sounds right except that the Sony E3100 only has one HDMI port which is marked
"OUT ARC" next to it are the two small ports for the red and white audio plugs. It is marked "AUDIO IN". (That is where I plugged in the output from the projector).
As I noted, I have validated that audio is actually coming out of the projector audio out 3.5mm port.
The only other two connection points on the back, aside from the speaker plugs, are "DIGITAL OPTICAL IN" and a LAN connection.

As such, I do not have an HDMI IN port to complete the setup you recommend.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike5387

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
americanaudiophile,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The solution sounds right except that the Sony E3100 only has one HDMI port which is marked
"OUT ARC" next to it are the two small ports for the red and white audio plugs. It is marked "AUDIO IN". (That is where I plugged in the output from the projector).
As I noted, I have validated that audio is actually coming out of the projector audio out 3.5mm port.
The only other two connection points on the back, aside from the speaker plugs, are "DIGITAL OPTICAL IN" and a LAN connection.

As such, I do not have an HDMI IN port to complete the setup you recommend.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry. I misread the specs on the HTS.
If the projector is sending out audio then you should be able to use the analog input on the HTS for sound If you select that as the input on the HTS, It won't get you digital surround sound so using an HDMI input selector with audio extraction to provide an optical audio output will be better.
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5557&kpid=105557&gclid=CPPY2sLnwcYCFYIXHwodhY0FTw
Sources connect to the selector inputs with HDMI.
Selector HDMI out to projector and selector optical audio out to HTS.
Set selector for 5.1 output.

Solution