Connecting multiple audio and video equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mochitense

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I have a new HD TV with five HDMI inputs. I also have a new Receiver with HDMI and SAT In, DVD In, BD In, and Video 1 In. Which is the best way to connect all these things? Is it better to run everything with the Receiver or the TV remote control?

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

Wow, that's quite a setup you've got :). Anyway, I would consult the TV manual and see what it recommends. If it supports the DLNA standards, then you should be able to control basic functions of compatible equipment connected to it via the HDMI inputs. In any event, once it starts getting a signal from one of the peripherals, it should automatically turn on and connect to it.

I have a Sony LCD TV connected to a DVD player and a BD player - I just hit the play button on either player and the TV turns on and displays the active HDMI port - the one connected to the active player. And when I turn the TV off, it automatically turns the connected player off as well.

You haven't mentioned what sources you are connecting. If you want to use the TV without the surround sound system (such as for late night or just checking the weather) then connect your cable/sat box to the TV with HDMI and digital audio to the receiver. If you have a BluRay player connect that to the receiver with hdmi (this supports better than Dolby Digital/DTS sound). Then connect the receiver with hdmi to the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.