Connecting multiple audio recorders to AVR

RussNor

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
I'm looking to upgrade my old Denon AVR3600 to gain more flexibility and power. My problem is that I have three audio recorders that I use frequently, a DAT (analog and digital inputs), a CDR (analog and digital inputs) and a high-end cassette deck (analog input only). My current receiver has multiple line outs that I use for recording but I can't find similar outputs on any modern AV receiver. The new Denon AVRX4200 has everything else I need. How can I solve this problem?

Solution
You could use an HDMI audio extractor which would give you an optical and coax digital audio output for the digital recorders. The zone 2 out could be used for the cassette deck. The digital outs could be used for playback into the receiver. Problem is if you want to for example dub fro DAT to CDR you will need to change the connections. You still won't have control via the remote of all combinations.

RussNor

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Thanks for the quick response and the suggestions.

I want to avoid patch panel hassles. Although the switch would certainly do the job but I'd prefer something I can control with my logitech remote. The AVRX4200 only has an HDMI out (labeled zone 2, but I won't be using a second zone) and analog zones 2 & zone 3 pre-outs. I assume I could use one of those analog pre-outs and connect a switch. But what about using the HDMI out and a switch/converter? The DAT & CDR both accept digital inputs for recording as well as analog.

You could use an HDMI audio extractor which would give you an optical and coax digital audio output for the digital recorders. The zone 2 out could be used for the cassette deck. The digital outs could be used for playback into the receiver. Problem is if you want to for example dub fro DAT to CDR you will need to change the connections. You still won't have control via the remote of all combinations.

Solution

RussNor

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Thanks. Really appreciate your reply.