1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
So what I have is my pc, bose lifestyle av28 receiver, panasonic tv (st50 viera) and bose home theater system(https://www.bose.com/products/speakers/home_theater/acoustimass-10-speaker-system.html#v=am10_v_black)
What I want to do is play video from my pc to the tv and obviously play the audio to the home theater system. Already the tv and receiver are connected but I need help on how to connect the pc and receiver properly or maybe there is another way to play video from my pc to my tv with surround sound.
First i just simply used hdmi from my graphics card to the tv but later realised i only had 2.0 pcm sound.
Then I tried using hdmi from my graphics card and connect the cable to the receiver. The receiver had 2 hdmi inputs: vcr and cbl.sat(cable satellite). cbl.sat would not work so I tried vcr. In nvidia control panel it would detect the bose system but I got no video on the tv screen.
I really have no idea what im doing especially since i did not set up the home theater system so I want to know what is the proper way to do this.

unless it has hdmi input with hdmi passthrough to your tv it might not work.

you may need to run two hdmi cables out of your pc. one to the tv, one to the receiver. video on one, audio on the other.

i'm guessing you are using optical to hook up to your tv.. if you connect to a tv via hdmi from a pc and attempt to use the tv optical out you will get 2.0 in most cases (even if the tv supports 5.1 out on optical) as your pc will default to recognizing the tv as a 2.0 only device. annoying i realize however this is just how things are.

1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

The receiver has 2 hdmi inputs: vcr and cable satellite, and 1 output that is already connected with the tv via hdmi.

Regarding using 2 hdmi´s from the pc, that is impossible cause there is only 1 hdmi output on my graphics card...

1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

Connected the hdmi to the vcr input. And in nvidia control panel it detected the receiver and i was on the right channel on the tv but still no video... And if I connected to the cable satellite nvidia control panel would not detect the receiver.

1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

Positive. Dvi to my pc monitor.
Edit: there is also a hdmi output on my motherboard, but could that work even if I use my graphics card for my monitor?

i was going to say you could use dvi for the tv and hdmi for the receiver, but looks like this wont work for you.

no, in many cases onboard graphics is disabled when you have a graphics card.

if your motherboard supports dts-connect or dolby digital live you could use optical out of the pc for 5.1 if your receiver supports it.

1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

Is it common that motherboards support surround audio? Mine is pretty old (3 years).
Well the receiver has varies of inputs so it should support optical. It´s a cable tho right?

honestly it depends. some do, some do not.

another thought.. do you get sound out of the receiver if you connect to it via hdmi? if yes, you could always put a switch device on the dvi output and use it to switch between pc monitor and tv depending on what you want to watch at the time or if you have another output (such as displayport perhaps) you could convert from that to use with the additional display.

just trying to see about options. honestly pc->receiver->tv should work fine unless your receiver is not handling passthrough correctly (do you have any trouble with other hdmi devices and passthrough of video?). it could be that its a setting on your receiver you need to enable (if its not working).

1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

Honestly I just think its this nvidia control panel thingy that is bugging this all out. I have 3 devices connected to the receiver and they all work fine(tv, blu-ray player and dvd-player).
Another thought tho, what is the difference between vcr hdmi input and cable satellite? Since only the vcr would be detectable in my pc.

Edit: Can you see if my motherboard supports optical?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144#ov

i output to a receiver (granted, its a real receiver unit not a combo box like the bose) and use pc->receiver->tv with hdmi passthrough with nvidia control panel on a gtx770 and there are no issues.

generally any issues are generally from two things: either you are trying to send an unsupported resolution to the tv.. and it doesnt like it or somewhere along the line you are having hdmi-handshake or hdcp issues. otherwise it should work if your receiver supports passthrough and its working properly.

other than modes like "game mode" and similar being enabled for certain connections it really should not matter unless bose did something odd. i can use any hdmi input on mine and there are zero issues though i cannot say this is true for combination boxes as well.

1738jeyz

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

Okay I did not setup this home theater but I just now realised how it is setup:
vs2_video_connections.jpg

As for the hdmi cable. First when i tried this I connected it to the tv and I got my pc screen and fine audio. So the 15m cable should not be the problem.