Connecting sub woofer to 5.1 reciever

Steven_44

Estimable
Feb 4, 2016
I would to connect the subwoofer from a computer satellite speaker system to my avr 5.1 reciever for now. It has a stereo male minijack input. Is there a way to connect it to the rca jack on the reciever until I spring for a full fledged subwoofer.

Solution
If the subwoofer is not self powered then you would need an amp to drive it from the subwoofer out of the receiver.
If the subwoofer is self powered you may be able to get it to work with the right cable. A single RCA at the receiver end to both the stereo plus connections and minus of a stereo mini plug at the subwoofer end. Not a standard cable but could be made up.
The PC sub may not have enough output to keep up with a full surround system so watch the volume at first.
If the subwoofer is not self powered then you would need an amp to drive it from the subwoofer out of the receiver.
If the subwoofer is self powered you may be able to get it to work with the right cable. A single RCA at the receiver end to both the stereo plus connections and minus of a stereo mini plug at the subwoofer end. Not a standard cable but could be made up.
The PC sub may not have enough output to keep up with a full surround system so watch the volume at first.

Solution